Employment Law

Employment law questions? Ask an employment lawyer.

Are employees covered for short term disability if they have…

Customer Question
Are employees covered for...

Are employees covered for short term disability if they have surgery and will be out of work for appx 6 weeks

Lawyer's Assistant: Because employment law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

Sorry, colorado

Lawyer's Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?

No nothing reported or filed

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

Nope, i need surgery and didn't know if there is any state mandated coverage

Submitted: 10 months ago.Category: Employment Law
7/14/2017
Employment Lawyer: RobertJDFL, Lawyer replied 10 months ago
RobertJDFL, Lawyer

Thank you for using Just Answer. I am a licensed attorney and look forward to helping you. I am reviewing your question and will reply back shortly.

Thank you I look forward to hearing your answer

Good afternoon,

Colorado does not require paid leave for workers with disabilities. An employee may have a private policy for disability, but no state or federal law requires that they be paid short-term disability while out of work. The employee may be eligible for up to 13 weeks of unpaid leave through FMLA (federal law grants 12 weeks, Colorado law extends it to 13). More information on FMLA can be found here. If an employee is unsure if they have any disability coverage through their workplace, they should check with human resources or their supervisors.

RobertJDFL, Lawyer