How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask RobertJDFL Your Own Question
RobertJDFL, Lawyer
Category: Employment Law
Satisfied Customers: 13872
Experience:  Experienced in multiple areas of the law.
Type Your Employment Law Question Here...
RobertJDFL is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Are employees covered for short term disability if they have

Customer Question

are employees covered for short term disability if they have surgery and will be out of work for appx 6 weeks
JA: Because employment law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?
Customer: sorry, colorado
JA: Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: no nothing reported or filed
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: nope, i need surgery and didn't know if there is any state mandated coverage
Submitted: 3 months ago.
Category: Employment Law
Expert:  RobertJDFL replied 3 months ago.

Thank you for using Just Answer. I am a licensed attorney and look forward to helping you. I am reviewing your question and will reply back shortly.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Thank you I look forward to hearing your answer
Expert:  RobertJDFL replied 3 months ago.

Good afternoon,

Colorado does not require paid leave for workers with disabilities. An employee may have a private policy for disability, but no state or federal law requires that they be paid short-term disability while out of work. The employee may be eligible for up to 13 weeks of unpaid leave through FMLA (federal law grants 12 weeks, Colorado law extends it to 13). More information on FMLA can be found here. If an employee is unsure if they have any disability coverage through their workplace, they should check with human resources or their supervisors.