Employment Law

Employment Law Questions? Ask an Employment Lawyer.

Employment Law

I was recently wrongfully terminated. What can I do? HR is

Customer Question
I was recently wrongfully terminated...
I was recently wrongfully terminated. What can I do?
JA: Have you documented this or discussed it with HR?
Customer: HR is the one that terminated me. Their investigation documents are basically nothing and do not prove rightful termination.
JA: Is the employment agreement "at will," union, full time or part time?
Customer: At will full time because it is in the state of Wisconsin. I still feel there is something for them yo rectify. This now has problems getting me a new job and also mental health issues
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: Please connect me
Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Employment Law
7/14/2017
Employment Lawyer: Dwayne B., Lawyer replied 4 months ago
Dwayne B.
Dwayne B., Lawyer

Hello and thank you for contacting us. This is Dwayne B. and I’m an expert here and looking forward to assisting you today.

As you indicated above, Wisconsin is an "at will" employement state and as such there are very few reasons which will make a terminatio "wrongful".

1) What reason did the employer give for your termination?

2) What do you believe is the real reason for your termination?

1. It was stated that I falsified documents from a health care provider.2. I did nothing to be terminated. I did not falsify anything and therefore consider it wrongful termination. It is wrongful because HR terminated me for something I did not even do.

While it may have been wrongful morally to terminate you, it wasn't illegal and thus there is not a potential lawsuit. In an employement at will state, an employer can termiate you for almost any reason other than those specifically made illegal by the law such as race, age, gender, etc. An employer can terminate you for no reason or even for a wrong reason without you being able to pursue a lawsuit unless you have a written or union contract with them prohibiting this. Many people often make the same mistake you made in considering wrongful terminations and if you need me to find the state website which backs up what I just told you, I will be more than happy to do so. I did employment law trial work across the United States for over 20 years and this is one of the only areas of the law that is black and white.

Don't you feel that it is considered somewhat illegal because when I explain having been terminated, my character and honesty are questioned. It is deformation of character in a sense because it's not the truth.

You can certainly pursue a defamation/slander case although you are probably going to spend a lot of money hiring a lawyer to do it. Your original question was regarding wrongful discharge/termination and in an empoyment at will state it is not going to meet the standard for a wrongful discharge and is not illegal in the employment law sense.

As to slander, you will have the burden of proof to prove not only did you not do what they accused you of, which is very hard to prove a negative, you will also have the burden of proving how much your damages are. It is not at all unusual for someone to spend more money pursuing a slander case than they would receive in a verdict.

Dwayne B.
Dwayne B.
Dwayne B., Lawyer