Loren, Lawyer
Experience:  More than 30 years in legal practice.
17897874

If I quit my job, but the company did not give me my last

Customer Question

If I quit my job, but the company did not give me my last check, what can I do???
JA: Because employment law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?
Customer: NC
JA: Is the employment agreement "at will," union, full time or part time?
Customer: non-union full time
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: no
Category: Employment Law
Expert:  Loren replied 3 months ago.

Thank you for using JA. I am Loren, a licensed attorney for over 30 yrs. Thank you for your patience as I review your question. I will post my response shortly.

Be aware, however, this is general information and no attorney client relationship is established.

The site may ask you if you wish to speak by phone for an extra charge. While I am happy to speak to you, if you wish, I am also happy to continue online. So, there is no pressure to spend extra money. Some people just prefer the speed of a phone call and that the information not be posted on the public forum.

Expert:  Loren replied 3 months ago.

File a wage claim with the NC Dept of Labor. The following link has the instructions and contact information to file the claim:

NC WAGE CLAIM

You can also file a claim against the employer in small claims court. Small claims court is designed to be a "user friendly", simplified process, so that you can present a claim without an attorney. Also, it moves much more quickly than regular court. You can get the necessary forms to start from the clerk of the court.

Expert:  Loren replied 3 months ago.

If you have no further questions please remember to rate my service so that I am credited by JA for answering your question and also so that I may close the question.

There is no additional charge to you for a 5 star rating of my service.

Thank you!