Employment Law

Employment Law Questions? Ask an Employment Lawyer.

Employment Law

Someone at my place of emplyment has started some defaming

Customer Question
hi Someone at my place...
hi Someone at my place of emplyment has started some defaming rumors about me and im trying to figure out what steps to take in getting this to stop.
JA: What state are you in? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: nj
JA: Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: not at this time but i dont trust my union and i want it documented and submitted for investigation.
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: the rumors about my immediate supervisor and myself and I know who the person is.
Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Employment Law
7/13/2017
Employment Lawyer: John, Employment Lawyer replied 4 months ago
John, Employment Lawyer

Hi, thanks for submitting your question today. My name is John. I have over 13 years of legal and consulting experience in this area. I’m happy to assist you with your question today. Please note that the website may ask you if you desire premium services, such as a phone call. I do not control these prompts, and you are not under any obligation to order premium services to get a full answer from me. If you do desire premium services, however, feel free to select that option. I will have an answer for you shortly, unless I require additional information. Please be patient while I may have to research some matters before providing a response. In the meantime you should save the url link or bookmark this webpage in case you become disconnected and need to return to this page at a later time.

Your first step would be to draft and send them a cease-and-desist letter, explaining that they must retract the false and defaming statements. Further, you'll state if they fail to do that you will seek all legal remedies. If they do not you can make claims against them for slander and defamation in tortuous interference with business contract as well as intentional infliction of emotional distress. To prove that you'd have to prove that they made the statements, new they were false, made the statement anyways to harm your reputation, that you experience financial, compensatory and emotional damages because of the statements.

I believe this answers your question. However, if you need clarification or have follow-up questions regarding this matter, I will be happy to continue our conversation - simply reply to this answer. If you are otherwise satisfied with my response, please leave a positive rating as it is the only way I am able to get credit for my answers (even though the website already charged you, it does not credit me with the answer unless and until you indicate you are satisfied with the answer). If you are on a mobile device, you may need to scroll to the right. Thank you, ***** ***** wish you all the best with this matter.

I am sending you this follow-up to determine if you require further assistance with your matter. I believe I have answered your question to the best of my abilities. I truly enjoy helping others with my knowledge and experience, and I believe I provide a valuable service. If you agree that my response was of value to you, please support my endeavor to share my knowledge by providing a positive rating. You have already been charged the full amount for your question. Providing a positive rating will not cost you any additional charge, but it will permit the website to credit me with answering your question. If you do not rate the answer positively, the website does not credit me with answering your question. Thanks.

John, Employment Lawyer