How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask John Your Own Question
John, Employment Lawyer
Category: Employment Law
Satisfied Customers: 5557
Experience:  Exclusively practice labor and employment law.
Type Your Employment Law Question Here...
John is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Someone at my place of emplyment has started some defaming

Customer Question

hi Someone at my place of emplyment has started some defaming rumors about me and im trying to figure out what steps to take in getting this to stop.
JA: What state are you in? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: nj
JA: Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: not at this time but i dont trust my union and i want it documented and submitted for investigation.
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: the rumors about my immediate supervisor and myself and I know who the person is.
Submitted: 9 days ago.
Category: Employment Law
Expert:  John replied 9 days ago.

Hi, thanks for submitting your question today. My name is John. I have over 13 years of legal and consulting experience in this area. I’m happy to assist you with your question today. Please note that the website may ask you if you desire premium services, such as a phone call. I do not control these prompts, and you are not under any obligation to order premium services to get a full answer from me. If you do desire premium services, however, feel free to select that option. I will have an answer for you shortly, unless I require additional information. Please be patient while I may have to research some matters before providing a response. In the meantime you should save the url link or bookmark this webpage in case you become disconnected and need to return to this page at a later time.

Expert:  John replied 9 days ago.

Your first step would be to draft and send them a cease-and-desist letter, explaining that they must retract the false and defaming statements. Further, you'll state if they fail to do that you will seek all legal remedies. If they do not you can make claims against them for slander and defamation in tortuous interference with business contract as well as intentional infliction of emotional distress. To prove that you'd have to prove that they made the statements, new they were false, made the statement anyways to harm your reputation, that you experience financial, compensatory and emotional damages because of the statements.

I believe this answers your question. However, if you need clarification or have follow-up questions regarding this matter, I will be happy to continue our conversation - simply reply to this answer. If you are otherwise satisfied with my response, please leave a positive rating as it is the only way I am able to get credit for my answers (even though the website already charged you, it does not credit me with the answer unless and until you indicate you are satisfied with the answer). If you are on a mobile device, you may need to scroll to the right. Thank you, ***** ***** wish you all the best with this matter.

Expert:  John replied 9 days ago.

I am sending you this follow-up to determine if you require further assistance with your matter. I believe I have answered your question to the best of my abilities. I truly enjoy helping others with my knowledge and experience, and I believe I provide a valuable service. If you agree that my response was of value to you, please support my endeavor to share my knowledge by providing a positive rating. You have already been charged the full amount for your question. Providing a positive rating will not cost you any additional charge, but it will permit the website to credit me with answering your question. If you do not rate the answer positively, the website does not credit me with answering your question. Thanks.

Related Employment Law Questions