Tina, Lawyer
Experience:  JD, BBA, recognized by ABA for excellence.
4460311

I was recently terminated and have requested my personnel

Customer Question

I was recently terminated and have requested my personnel files and/or the contact information of the company legal counsel. In the final meeting, when requesting the "evidence" I was told that I had to go through their legal counsel. Now I have received a message refusing to give files or legal contact. What rights do I have in DC ?
JA: Have you documented this or discussed it with HR?
Customer: Yes. HR was included in message. The reason for refusal was that I am a 'former' employee.
JA: Is the employment agreement "at will," union, full time or part time?
Customer: At will
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: No evidence was given for termination and no due process.
Submitted: 9 days ago.
Category: Employment Law
Expert:  Patrick, Esq. replied 9 days ago.

Hello and thank you for entrusting me to assist you. My name is ***** ***** I will do everything I can to answer your question.

Unfortunately, the law in DC does not require employers to release an employee's personnel files upon request. The only way to obtain these documents would be to file a lawsuit and then subpoena the documents through the discovery process.

I hope that you find this information helpful and am genuinely sorry if it is not what you were hoping to hear. Please do not hesitate to let me know if you have any questions or concerns regarding the above and I will be more than happy to assist you further.