Employment Law

Employment Law Questions? Ask an Employment Lawyer.

Employment Law

I was injured in an automobile accident on 6/14/17. I have

Customer Question
I was injured in an...
I was injured in an automobile accident on 6/14/17. I have been off from work since that time. I have presented my employer with documents. Now that i will be returning to work on 7/17/17 the Commander states since i still injuries i am no fit for duty because my doctor don't know how long i will be in pain. I am a police dispatcher
JA: Because employment law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?
Customer: My name is***** I am African American and i am 66 yars of age.
JA: Is the employment agreement "at will," union, full time or part time?
Customer: I am a full time employee. I doctor stated i could not sit for 8 straight hours but to get up and walk around every 2 hours. He found that to be stating I am unfit for duty
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: I work gor the US Government Printing Office. I have worked for almost 7 years and he has run off all the females. We only have 3 females. 2 Officers & 1 dispatcher (myself)
Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Employment Law
7/12/2017
Employment Lawyer: Legal Eagle, Lawyer replied 4 months ago
Legal Eagle, Lawyer

Hello! I am a licensed attorney, admitted to practice in state and federal court. I have a nearly 100% satisfaction rating so all that means is that you can count on me to help today.

In your case you should be eligible for reasonable accommodations under the Americans with Disabilities Act. Under the ADA, an employer is required to provide reasonable accommodations to people who may be dealing with disabilities. Thus, if they are saying that you should not be coming back to work, then you may have a claim against them for discrimination.

You may want to consider just writing a formal demand letter requesting accommodations for your disability, even if iti s temporary. There’s a site that I’ve used in the past where you can find a good template for a demand letter (click here). It only costs $10 and it is way cheaper than litigation.

Follow up questions are free, so please feel free to ask away. You can also click here in the future to request me individually. If you don’t have any additional questions, were you satisfied with my service today?

Legal Eagle, Lawyer