Employment Law

Employment Law Questions? Ask an Employment Lawyer.

Employment Law

Is there a law, federal, state or city, in new york that

Customer Question
when you file a discrimination...
is there a law, federal, state or city, in new york that when you file a discrimination complaint, that anything in that complaint that is being investigated is to be put on hold? ( for example. I didn't get the job or promotion because of what happened in my complaint. Yet my employer want and filled or promoted some else after I filed my complaint that is still open) is there a law and what law and section of it that says anything like that?
Submitted: 6 months ago.Category: Employment Law
7/12/2017
Employment Lawyer: Legal Eagle, Lawyer replied 6 months ago
Legal Eagle, Lawyer

Hello! I am a licensed attorney, admitted to practice in state and federal court. I have a nearly 100% satisfaction rating so all that means is that you can count on me to help today. Do you mind if I take a moment to review your question?

Please keep in mind that our conversation does not include an attorney-client relationship and this is for general information purposes only. Additionally, Most people believe a phone call is the easiest and most efficient way to handle problems. Accordingly, you will receive an automatic phone call request. If you would like a phone call, please click “Accept” when prompted.

I'm sorry to hear about your situation. Generally, there is nothing that requires that anything in the complaint be put on hold. However, you can request an injunction if you have filed a complaint. Injunctions keep the status quo during a lawsuit, but that is only if you file a lawsuit in court. If you haven't filed a lawsuit, then you won't be entitled to an injunction. If you did file a lawsuit, you can submit a request to the court to prohibit the position from being filled until the lawsuit is over.

Follow up questions are free, so please feel free to ask away. You can also click here in the future to request me individually. If you don’t have any additional questions, were you satisfied with my service today?

that wouldn't be considered an adverse work action?

You could certainly argue that. In addition, you could also argue that this is retaliation for filing the complaint, which is illegal under state and federal law. That is something that you could either a) add to your damages or b) include in your complaint where you are looking to get an injunction.

Legal Eagle, Lawyer