Employment Law

Employment Law Questions? Ask an Employment Lawyer.

Employment Law

We own a restaurant. An employee walked off the job during a

Customer Question
busy night and quit. He...
We own a restaurant. An employee walked off the job during a busy night and quit. He has filed for unemployment benefits. His stated reason is "I was forced to work under hostile, discriminating and sexually harassing environment." Should I let this go so that he can receive benefits? I know that because he quit, the reason he gave would be the only way he could receive benefits. Should I let this go so that He can receive benefits or should I dispute his claim ?
JA: Because employment law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?
Customer: South Carolina
JA: Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: He filed with the South Carolina Department of Employment. I received the paperwork from my accountant yesterday. I have ten days to respond - I have to respond by July 16.
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: No
Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Employment Law
Answered in 1 minute by:
7/12/2017
Employment Lawyer: John, Employment Lawyer replied 4 months ago
John, Employment Lawyer

Hi, thanks for submitting your question today. My name is John. I have over 13 years of legal and consulting experience in this area. I’m happy to assist you with your question today. Please note that the website may ask you if you desire premium services, such as a phone call. I do not control these prompts, and you are not under any obligation to order premium services to get a full answer from me. If you do desire premium services, however, feel free to select that option. I will have an answer for you shortly, unless I require additional information. Please be patient while I may have to research some matters before providing a response. In the meantime you should save the url link or bookmark this webpage in case you become disconnected and need to return to this page at a later time.

Generally, I would not get in the practice of not contesting unemployment benefits. First off, these charges are made against your account and ultimately taxed against you… Which can end up with you paying an exorbitant tax rate on your payroll. Second, while your unemployment records cannot be used to in a discrimination case it's not good for them to simply let an employee make up facts against your establishment. Unless you feel the employee is a clear case for discrimination against you or others in your establishment, I would protest the application for benefits.

I believe this answers your question. However, if you need clarification or have follow-up questions regarding this matter, I will be happy to continue our conversation - simply reply to this answer. If you are otherwise satisfied with my response, please leave a positive rating as it is the only way I am able to get credit for my answers (even though the website already charged you, it does not credit me with the answer unless and until you indicate you are satisfied with the answer). If you are on a mobile device, you may need to scroll to the right. Thank you, ***** ***** wish you all the best with this matter.

Ok. Is general cursing among employees in the kitchen considered sexual harassment?

not unless it is aiimed at the person and unwelcome (i.e., the others are saying sexually degrading things to the employee and he isn't participating in the general back and forth that might otherwise just be considered "joking"). Hope this answers your questions. Thanks.

I am sending you this follow-up to determine if you require further assistance with your matter. I believe I have answered your question to the best of my abilities. I truly enjoy helping others with my knowledge and experience, and I believe I provide a valuable service. If you agree that my response was of value to you, please support my endeavor to share my knowledge by providing a positive rating. You have already been charged the full amount for your question. Providing a positive rating will not cost you any additional charge, but it will permit the website to credit me with answering your question. If you do not rate the answer positively, the website does not credit me with answering your question. Thanks.

John, Employment Lawyer