Employment Law

Employment Law Questions? Ask an Employment Lawyer.

Employment Law

My employer is taking insurance deductions out of my

paycheck but I just found...
My employer is taking insurance deductions out of my paycheck but I just found out I have no coverage. After talking to my insurance company I was told the group policy is listed as inactive since July 2. They were not able to give me a reason why based on privacy laws.
JA: Because employment law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?
Customer: Iowa.
JA: Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: It has been reported to the human resources as well as the general manager. they are not giving us an answer as to why or when or if we will be getting coverage back.
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: No.
7/12/2017
John, Employment Lawyer

Hi, thanks for submitting your question today. My name is John. I have over 13 years of legal and consulting experience in this area. I’m happy to assist you with your question today. Please note that the website may ask you if you desire premium services, such as a phone call. I do not control these prompts, and you are not under any obligation to order premium services to get a full answer from me. If you do desire premium services, however, feel free to select that option. I will have an answer for you shortly, unless I require additional information. Please be patient while I may have to research some matters before providing a response. In the meantime you should save the url link or bookmark this webpage in case you become disconnected and need to return to this page at a later time.

The employer is latently violating the law known asERISA. Under ERISA an employer must submit premiums to the health insurance provider a monthly basis and cannot eliminate the plan without warning… It certainly cannot eliminate the plan and keep collecting withholdings. Under the law you would be owed not only out-of-pocket medical costs you incurred because you're under the impression you had coverage but also return of your premiums as well as the department of labor penalty against the employer. You could retain either private benefits attorney in your area or file a complaint with the Department of Labor, which you can contact here(###) ###-#### a private attorney may be more responsive to your needs than the Department of Labor. The department takes a while to complete an investigation and implemented a resolution.

I believe this answers your question. However, if you need clarification or have follow-up questions regarding this matter, I will be happy to continue our conversation - simply reply to this answer. If you are otherwise satisfied with my response, please leave a positive rating as it is the only way I am able to get credit for my answers (even though the website already charged you, it does not credit me with the answer unless and until you indicate you are satisfied with the answer). If you are on a mobile device, you may need to scroll to the right. Thank you, ***** ***** wish you all the best with this matter.

John, Employment Lawyer
John, Employment Lawyer