Employment Law

Employment Law Questions? Ask an Employment Lawyer.

Employment Law

About claiming unemployment benefits in ny. been told i

about claiming unemployment benefits in...
about claiming unemployment benefits in ny.
JA: Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: been told i cannot return to work until september. if i claim benefits here in ny, can i go to another state for retraining for a job?
JA: Because employment law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?
Customer: and still collect benefits? I am in new york. The job is based in new york but we travel to work in floria for 4 months out of the year. and then back to new york for 8 months. i have worked for this employer for 10 years
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: i am told not to return to work until september. I was thinking of doing continuing education for a new job while i am unemployed, possibly in nevada. can i still collect unemployment in nevada for new york or do you have to transfer?
Answered in 1 minute by:
7/6/2017
Ray, Employment lawyer

Hi and welcome to JA. Ray here to help you today.Please bear with me a few moments while I review your question, conduct and prepare your response.

nothing
filed or reported yet

You can just file in Nevada and do your retraining there.You have to get UI approval for the training because in theory you aren't available for work during this period.Its tricky and I know people that just do the training on the side and just file for benefits.There is risk if they find out about it.

Are you still there?

Yes please ask anything you have here online, thanks.

sp if i go to nevada, where i have family, i can still claim unemployemnt there even if i never worked in the state?

File here in Nevada

http://ui.nv.gov/css.html

Yes you can it is not a problem.Sounds like a good idea.Nevada is doing well at the moment.Desk Clerks at Luxor for instance start at $20 an hour they have great union.Might be good for you professionally.

I i go to Nevada and claim unemployemnt there, i can still get benefits even if i did not work there?
Ok, thank you!

Yes because you paid in, people do it all the time.You would need one of these cards if you want to work around a casino..

http://www.tamnevada.com/sheriff-health-tam-card/

Before working in Nevada in the hotel, gaming, food and beverage industries, you must obtain 3 different cards to show you’ve met certain training and background check requirements – a TAM® Card, a Food Handler Card, and a Work Card. Read on to learn more about each!

• A TAM® Card, also called an alcohol awareness card or a drink card is required for anyone who works at an establishment where they sell or serve alcoholic beverages, and also for security guards. This includes cashiers who check I.D. and sell beer and wine products. To get a TAM Card, you take a short alcohol awareness course online or in the classroom at TAM of Nevada. You’ll get your card right after taking your final exam. The process is simple, and TAM employees are in the office six days a week to help you get your card in the most convenient way possible! Enroll in an online or classroom course now.
  • A Food Handler Card, sometimes also referred to as a Health Card, is required for anyone who works in a food establishment such as a restaurant or bar. This includes kitchen staff, servers, managers, and anyone who could come into contact with food, ice, beverages, utensils, etc. To get a Food Handler Card, you must take an online food safety training course at the Nevada Health District website, and then visit their office to pick up your card.
  • Work Cards, sometimes also referred to as Sheriffs Cards, have been a requirement for employees in the gaming industry since the 1940’s. Employees are required to obtain this card for all positions in a gaming establishment and many other work places. The purpose of the Work Card is to document, investigate and license all employees of the gaming industry. Unlike TAM® and Food Handler Cards, you cannot obtain a Work Card before you have landed a job. Work Cards are issued by the Las Vegas Metro Police Department. You’ll get a work card application from your prospective employer, and will be fingerprinted by the police department as a part of the application process. For more information, visit the LVMPD website.
im still in new york. i should apply for nevada unemployment now since i plan to drive there next week?
or should i apply for ny benefits and transfer?

Apply in Nevada in a week and you can do it online, good luck to you.

Great place to get a good cheap meal, its a block off the strip, lots of locals

Ellis Island Casino & Brewery  

4.21,056 Google reviews

$

Address: 4178 Koval Ln, Las Vegas, NV 89109

Hours:

Open today · Open 24 hours

Phone:(###) ###-####/p>

Menu: urbanspoon.com

Check out Flamingo/Koval intersection--right by Ellis Island this is where Tupac got shot ..

Thanks for rating 5 stars, I go to Vegas a lot.Its hot there now .

its seems you know las vegas well. thank you for all the tips. I thought the unemployment insurance was a state program, not federal. so i can file in nevada even if i never worked there, just becasue i got laid off from my job

State program run but federally funded.You are allowed to relocate and file for UI. I hope you can find training and a job pretty quick.When the economy is good Las Vegas is better job wise.Just understand it has runs of boom times and slow, its totally tourist dependent.See if you can meet folks that work in casinos they can practically get you a job if you have such references if you want to dfo that kind of work.Its a 24 hour town you have to ask your friends, family what shift they work , real common people work graveyard.

how do i get approval for training for another job during the unemployment process? is that possible?
I have another skill and will be employable after alittle more training. how does that work?

Ask UI about this, here is the site for retraining

http://nvdetr.org/

Ray, Employment lawyer
Ray, Employment lawyer