Employment Law

Employment law questions? Ask an employment lawyer.

Can a company deduct un paid invoices or bounced from a

Can a company deduct...

Can a company deduct un paid invoices or bounced from a sales reps salary or commission check ?

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you documented this or discussed it with HR?

We dont have an HR department

Lawyer's Assistant: Is the employment agreement "at will," union, full time or part time?

At will ......full time

6/27/2017
Dwayne B.
Dwayne B., Lawyer

Hello and thank you for contacting us. This is Dwayne B. and I’m an expert here and looking forward to assisting you today.

Before we get started on the question I just wanted to let you know that I severely injured my right arm a couple of week ago so some of my answers may be shorter than normal, but still complete, and there may be typos or other small issues. It also takes me a little longer to hunt-and-peck using just my left hand so please bear with me.

The only way anything other than taxes, Medicare, etc., can be deducted from an employees paycheck is if:

1) the employee has authorized it in writing

2) there is some type of court order or the equivalent

If it is writing then the employee must have signed it agreeing to it. The Department of Labor enforces these violations of the Fair Labor Standards Act and can force the employer to repay the amount plus fines and penalties. In addition, if the Department of Labor does not act, the employee can sue the employer and be compensated for the amount withheld, additional damages (usually 3 times the amount), and attorney's fees and cost. It is also not legal to have an employee sign an agreement making this change retroactive.

Dwayne B.
Dwayne B., Lawyer

Thank you very much for allowing me to assist you. While the answers I give can't always be "good news", since the law can't always be favorable to everyone, I do strive to be as accurate as possible and to answer any follow up questions to the best of my ability.

You may receive a survey of some kind in the next day or so regarding your experience here at JustAnswer. Please be advised that I am responsible for the content of my answers but not with the issues of website performance or anything other than the answer. I hope that you will consider issuing a Positive Rating regarding my service to you so that I can continue helping others.

If I can ever provide assistance to you in the future please feel free to ask for me by starting your new question with "FOR DWAYNE B ONLY" and I will pick up as soon as I see the question.