Employment Law

Employment law questions? Ask an employment lawyer.

I applied for a promotion that would take me to a more

administrative position but I was...
I applied for a promotion that would take me to a more administrative position but I was passed over for someone else. I am the top closer in the establishment and promoting me would take me off the floor and would hurt the company as far as their numbers. I feel they passed me because of this. Also two months ago I tried to transfer and the VP said he needed me there and that he could not afford to let me transfer. What should I do. I'm considering leaving the company.
6/24/2017
RobertJDFL, Lawyer

Thank you for using Just Answer. I am a licensed attorney and look forward to helping you. I am reviewing your question and will reply back shortly.

Thank you

Good afternoon,

Unless the employer is denying you a promotion for an unlawful reason (e.g., because of your race, religion, sex, etc) or you had an employment contract that guarantees you the promotion and then the employer refused to give it to you, unfortunately there wouldn't be legal recourse. Businesses are allowed to make decisions that are best for their bot***** *****ne (even if it's not the best thing for employees) so long as they do not act in an unlawful manner. Nothing in the facts you've provided suggests that your employer did anything illegal -indeed, they've basically told you that losing your closing ability would hurt their bot***** *****ne.

This is a matter that you would have to try and work out with your employer, therefore. I wouldn't just up and quit your job -no sense in cutting off your nose to spite your face - but it surely sounds like that your employer has made it clear they won't consider moving you into a new role, so from an outsiders perspective, it sounds like you've gone as far as you can with this company.

Okay thx you anyway. Have a good weekend

You too.

RobertJDFL, Lawyer
RobertJDFL, Lawyer