Employment Law

Employment law questions? Ask an employment lawyer.

I have apply for unemployment benefits. A letter was sent to…

Customer Question
I have apply for...

I have apply for unemployment benefits. A letter was sent to me saying that I did not earn enough in my based period to qualify for benefits.so my week benefit for this claim week is 0.00. I have been layed off from my job

Lawyer's Assistant: Because employment law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

Texas

Lawyer's Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?

I was given an unemployment package, because of this massive lay off. how can i claim my benefits through this situation. I'm due to go back to work in August with the same company. What do I do??

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

I need an appeal/my benefits, because of this massive layoff. I work with a company that is contracted with an independent school district. Therefore

Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Employment Law
6/20/2017
Employment Lawyer: John, Employment Lawyer replied 1 year ago
John, Employment Lawyer

To get unemployment you must have earned wage in the first 4 of the last 5 calendar quarters. If you had no employment or fully exhausted a previous unemployment claim in that same time, you'll not be monetarily eligible for benefits. So, for a claim occuring now, in June, the relevant 4 quarters are Jan - December 31 2016. If you did not have any wage in one or more quarters of 2016 or you had a claim for unemployment benefits that completely exhausted benefits in that same time, then you'll not get benefits. Otherwise, you have to protest the ruling and prove that you did have wage in all 4 quarters and/or did not have a claim in that same time.

I believe this answers your question. However, if you need clarification or have follow-up questions regarding this matter, I will be happy to continue our conversation - simply reply to this answer. If you are otherwise satisfied with my response, please leave a positive rating as it is the only way I am able to get credit for my answers (even though the website already charged you, it does not credit me with the answer unless and until you indicate you are satisfied with the answer). If you are on a mobile device, you may need to scroll to the right. Thank you, ***** ***** wish you all the best with this matter.