Employment Law

Employment Law Questions? Ask an Employment Lawyer.

Employment Law

I have a mental health disability and work at a chemical

Customer Question
plant. When I was...
I have a mental health disability and work at a chemical plant. When I was hired, I was on a couple different medications for that mental illness. In the pre-employment physical, I listed the medications that I was on and was hired and began working there on those medications. In my next physical, I listed the same medications and was told that I had to stop taking one of them or I would lose my job. If I had been told that I couldn't work there on one of my medications, I would not have accepted the job. My last job (another chemical plant) allowed me to work on that medication as long as I had a prescription. So, since I was forced to get off of it, I have had a lot of health problems...I've had horrible anxiety, I had a complete mental breakdown at work, and have been out on medical leave because of this. I got written up for taking sick days related to this, and when I told my boss that the days I missed were related to a disability, he said, "for all I know your doctor is your cousin and you're just making this up." I see three different doctors for this. I'm at my whits end and am just wanting to get advice from a lawyer on what to do about this. I tried to go back to my previous job, but they are not hiring at this time. I've gone through a great deal of suffering in the last year because of this, and the medical department won't even admit that they made a mistake in my pre-employment physical. Any advice would be appreciated.
JA: Because employment law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?
Customer: Louisiana
JA: Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: Not legally.
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: No.
Submitted: 5 months ago.Category: Employment Law
6/17/2017
Employment Lawyer: Infolawyer, Lawyer replied 5 months ago
Infolawyer, Lawyer
I can suggest some options. would you like that information? please let me know and i will put it together and respond shortly. You can wait or come back later when we email you that a reply is ready. Thanks for your patience. This is not the answer. just an opening question so I can better focus the answer and make it more helpful.
I would like to know what my options are.
You want to prepare your case by creating a time line starting from the earliest event. For each event, write down key details and witnesses and if there is a document that relates to it, save it and refer to it. This timeline can be very valuable in narrating your case and presenting it later in a concrete and specific way.The eeoc is a federal agency charged with reviewing discrimination complaints. www.eeoc.gov is its site and you can pursue a complaint using it.If needed, If you sue in court you may end up with a judgment. The judgment generally allows you to levy on bank accounts, lien real estate and work with the sheriff office civil enforcement division. Many lawsuits result in settlement - which expect the judge to encourage. martindale.com and findlaw.com are both excellent lookup directories. Both highly rated. Both used by lawyers. Easy to search and find local options.Often a lawyer negotiation leads to settlement.If I can clarify or explain anything further, just ask me. kindly rate me 5 stars.
Is the answer clear?
Infolawyer, Lawyer