Employment Law

Employment Law Questions? Ask an Employment Lawyer.

Employment Law

I approached HR last Fall with a grievance against a

Customer Question
director who is bullying and...
I approached HR last Fall with a grievance against a director who is bullying and aggressive. It's been ongoing for over 10 years. Months later, HR is acting like I'm the one on trial. They are pressuring me to have meetings with them in which I am interrogated with questions I've already answered. They are now asking me to fill out a form with 20 questions on it that use quotes from me and asking me to clarify my quotes. What are my obligations in filling out this form? How can I protect myself? They claim they are under no time deadline but are pressuring me to return the form within 24 hrs.
JA: Can you tell me what state this is in? And how long has this been going on?
Customer: Wisconsin. I've been in contact with HR for 7+ months about this. There was some restructuring in my Department that put the grievance on hold.
JA: Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: I don't think so. HR had an informal chat with the director. I informed HR that I received major backlash from that as he narrowed down the complainer to me.
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: I am currently on intermittent FMLA for treatment for an illness that prohibits travel. I work remotely from Oregon but company is in Wisconsin. Director has pressured me to travel back onsite repeatedly. Since I threatened a claim with EEOC he has stopped.
Submitted: 5 months ago.Category: Employment Law
6/16/2017
Employment Lawyer: Legal Eagle, Lawyer replied 5 months ago
Legal Eagle, Lawyer

Hello! My name is ***** ***** I am a licensed attorney, admitted to practice in state and federal court. I'll be here to help today! Do you mind if I take a moment to review your question? By the way, the system will automatically ask for a phone call. I am happy to speak with you, but by no means are you required to accept it.

As an attorney, I would be very very careful about putting down anything on paper. The reason is because if you ever went to court because of an EEOC issue or any other issue, they could pull out the statements you said you made and use them against you. In any court proceedings, admissions by a party can be used against them. Thus, HR is likely doing this to protect themselves in the event of a lawsuit. You should not have to fill out anything that is not pursuant to your employment contract at all.

You may want to advise HR that you would like to speak with your attorney before answering more questions or putting anything in writing.

Follow up questions are free, so please feel free to ask away. You can also click here in the future to request me individually. If you don’t have any additional questions, were you satisfied with my service today?

Legal Eagle, Lawyer