Employment Law

Employment Law Questions? Ask an Employment Lawyer.

Employment Law

I have worked for a company for 1.5 years and its always

been an uphill battle with...
I have worked for a company for 1.5 years and its always been an uphill battle with trying to get the support that I need in order to do my job. I am doing a good job despite this and received good reviews, but I'm afraid that it's getting to the point where I am just keeping my head above water. I was hired to manage a program, but was mis-lead when they did not tell me I would also need to be the shipping and receiving person as well. There is terrible communication with managers in my own office and was an unsafe work environment the first six months of my employment. I have contacted my HR Dept and expressed my concern with no results. When I finally had an opportunity to train someone to help with the S&R work, they were placed on new assignments and no longer available. I also was not able to attend the annual regulatory training due to not having a back up, therefore, my certification has expired. They are always understaffed and I am afraid that if it continues, that the program I manage will suffer and I will be the one under the bus.
JA: I'm trying to find the right Lawyer for you right now. As soon as they are ready, I will let you know. Because employment law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?
Customer: I guess my question is, what would you advise. Unfortunately, I am not in a position to quit, but I do not want to get to the point where I get fired.
JA: Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: I'm not sure. When I spoke to HR a couple of times, I don't know what type of records they keep. Also, there was a near miss when I first started that could have ended terribly due to a number of issues, Iwas not at fault but my manager delayed a meeting regarding the incident for approx. a month and then had me and the employee that was at fault discuss with HR and my supervisor, which both of us were reprimanded. That may be filed.
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: When I initially applied for the position, I did not go through a physical to see if I could lift a certain amount, but I was and probably still expected to lift heavy boxes in the warehouse. I even sent an email to our H&S manager asking if he sent the right paperwork because it was for a technician and not a manager. I feel that I was mis-lead when I discussed the job with the manager, due to him stating that someone would be doing the warehouse work. Then when they hired me, they fired the receiving person and did not hire another one and expected me to do the work. I didn't have a problem with it until I found out how heavy the packages are and what it entailed, which could cause injuries. I expressed this several times to my manager and he stated that they cannot justify hiring someone just to do the warehouse work so they had me train four people, in which none are available due to not enough staff. Also, the warehouse where I have to work half of the time is very dusty, and when receiving packages, I have to breath in smoke and other chemical smells from the fork trucks and chemicals stored in the warehouse. I don't mean to sound like a complainer, I am a good worker with a good reputation and I don't want to jeopardize it.
6/15/2017
Infolawyer, Lawyer

what outcome are you seeking?

To get the support I need in order to continue to do a good job and not get injured. Also, to not get fired in case I do not get the support needed.

Have you considered preparing a timeline of events and either speaking to HR directly or having an employment lawyer do so in an effort to accomplish this and reduce retaliation risk?

I have talked to the HR department a few times stating my concerns. The have never contacted me to follow-up. I have a list of emails and notes with dates that I have kept during this time. I do not know what you mean by retaliation risk. In the event that the company would try to get back at me for something? Do you have examples of this for my type of situation?
Such a chronology is useful. Having counsel reach out to negotiate informally is often effective and avoids more expensive legal action
Ok, thank you very much.
Very welcome.
Kindly rate me five stars.
Leaving a bonus after rating is very much appreciated.
Infolawyer, Lawyer
Infolawyer, Lawyer