Employment Law

Employment Law Questions? Ask an Employment Lawyer.

Employment Law

I was out of the country last week and was flagged for

Customer Question
Hi - I was out...
Hi - I was out of the country last week and was flagged for logging into the unemployment benefits site and before I do anything further I would like to get clarification on the best next steps to take.
JA: Have you documented this or discussed it with HR?
Customer: No
JA: Is the employment agreement "at will," union, full time or part time?
Customer: It was for unemployment with ny state
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: Never mind. Thank you though.
Submitted: 5 months ago.Category: Employment Law
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
NY State unemployment sent me an "out of country" email asking to submit my
Passport, itinerary, drivers license, and a house bill with my address. I don't want to be accused of fraud and I just want to give them what they ask for. Am I in any legal danger or would they just terminate my benefits because I traveled out of country
6/15/2017
Employment Lawyer: Michael Bradley, Lawyer replied 5 months ago
Michael Bradley

if you want to talk send then request

the issue with unemployment is that you not only are out of work but available and ready for employment. By being out of the country they do not believe that you were available to work, unless you were looking for employment out of the country. They want passport to confirm when you left country, itinerary to see how long, driver's license to confirm state resident and house bill to confirm still reside in new york. It is a fraud check. You should not be in legal danger unless you have committed fraud. The should not terminate benefits but will not pay you for time out of country.

Michael Bradley
Michael Bradley
Michael Bradley, Lawyer