Employment Law

Employment Law Questions? Ask an Employment Lawyer.

Employment Law

I work for HNJH The pressure is horrible. There are changes

Customer Question
I work for HNJHThe pressure...
I work for HNJHThe pressure is horrible. There are changes of what we are expected weekly. We are to use new computer programs that don't work and cause us to lose productivity on a weekly basis
We signed a contract in January to perform 25 assessments weekly. They now are forcing us to make 20 "visits" and will no longer count the assessments. It is about twice the amount
Submitted: 5 months ago.Category: Employment Law
Answered in 1 hour by:
6/15/2017
Employment Lawyer: Legal Eagle, Lawyer replied 5 months ago
Legal Eagle, Lawyer
Hello my name is ***** ***** I am an attorney with Just Answer. Could you tell me what specific questions you have?
Let me clarify. I am an RN working for a HMO insurance company called Horizon Blue Cross of N.J. I am asking specifically if management can terminate us? The goals that were set in January with expectations had been signed by us and agreed. In April they changed and increased the goals. We as field nurses and at home. We go out and travel to see Medicaid clients. We were contracted to assess 15 authorizations per week. A medical day care would be one assessment. A home attendant would be another. I would see 1 person. With 2 authorizations or assessments. The company gets paid by 2 different sources. With that we worked overtime and late into the night. It's very stressful. Now we have new management. They are tracking our phones and doing time studies. They want to increase production by double amount. I want to know what my recourse is. I've been with the company almost 5 yrs. I will be 64 in September. People much younger than me can not go this job!
We want to know how we can stop this craziness. Without quitting or getting fired. Would the labor board help us?Thank you

Thank you for providing this. This appears to be a violation of the implied covenant (promise) of good faith and fair dealing. What this means is that every contract comes with implied promises from both parties that they are going to be acting fairly toward one another. The failure of one party to act fairly toward the other can result in a breach of contract. In your case, the fact that you were never tracked before and that time studies are being done and the workload has increased to an impossible point is prohibiting you from benefiting from the contract. If you are a part of a nurse's union, I would recommend speaking to your union steward for more info.

What may also work is having you and others sign a breach of contract letter and send it to management. There’s a site that I’ve used in the past where you can find a good template for advising of a breach of contract (click here). It's a bit easier (and cheaper) than going through litigation and I have seen it be effective in the past.

Follow up questions are free, so please feel free to ask away. You can also click here in the future to request me individually. If you don’t have any additional questions, were you satisfied with my service today?

Legal Eagle, Lawyer