Employment Law

Employment law questions? Ask an employment lawyer.

I just had a question on COBRA insurance. I recently changed…

Hi,I just had a question...
Hi,I just had a question on COBRA insurance. I recently changed jobs and foolishly forgot to enroll myself quickly in insurance.
Therefore, I have to wait till July 1st to enroll. How,However, my previous employer has emailed me a COBRA formSo, if I understand all of it correctly,1) If God forbid, something happens to me or my family (say on June 22nd) , I can retroactively sign up for COBRA and pay the insurance premium. The medical costs will be covered under COBRA2) In case I decide to sign up for COBRA retroactively, I need to make sure the form REACHES them by 60 days after the start of the COBRA period. Am I correct ?It almost sounds like this is "free insurance" (of course, you pay IF you use it). Is all of my understanding correct ?Kindly help me out.regards
Tej
6/7/2017
Phillips Esq., Attorney-at-Law

Hello: This is Phillipsesq. Welcome to JustAnswer! I am reviewing your post, and I will post my response very shortly. Thank you for your patience.

I just had a question on COBRA insurance. I recently changed jobs and foolishly forgot to enroll myself quickly in insurance.
Therefore, I have to wait till July 1st to enroll. How,

However, my previous employer has emailed me a COBRA form

So, if I understand all of it correctly,

1) If God forbid, something happens to me or my family (say on June 22nd) , I can retroactively sign up for COBRA and pay the insurance premium. The medical costs will be covered under COBRA

Response 1: Yes, that is correct.

2) In case I decide to sign up for COBRA retroactively, I need to make sure the form REACHES them by 60 days after the start of the COBRA period. Am I correct ?

Response 2: Yes.

It almost sounds like this is "free insurance" (of course, you pay IF you use it). Is all of my understanding correct ?

Response 3: I am sorry I do not understand your comment about "free insurance." Click here for more information on COBRA.

Best wishes,

A 5-star rating to my response is appreciated so that I can receive proper credit for responding to your post. Kindly use the popup screen to give the rating. There is no additional cost to you for giving a 5-star rating.

Thank you for your cooperation.

Phillips Esq., Attorney-at-Law