Employment Law

Employment law questions? Ask an employment lawyer.

Tina. I have a question concerning Cobra. I have't receive…

Customer Question
Good Morning Tina. I...

Good Morning Tina. I have a question concerning Cobra. I have't receive any notice from my employer about the Cobra Insurance. I

Lawyer's Assistant: Because employment law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

Yes I am in Ohio. I've been reading about the 45 days they have to supply the information.

Lawyer's Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?

No. How do I go about doing so? I've tried to call employer on several different occasions and nothing. I talked to Cobra but all they tell me is get ahold of previous employer.

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

I just sent ECCO a complaint about this job. I think it would benefit if they knew. No nothing else. Thank you Tina/ or Pearl..Thank you.

Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Employment Law
5/30/2017
Employment Lawyer: John, Employment Lawyer replied 1 year ago
John, Employment Lawyer

Hi, thanks for submitting your question today. My name is John. I have over 13 years of legal and consulting experience in this area. I’m happy to assist you with your question today. Please note that the website may ask you if you desire premium services, such as a phone call. I do not control these prompts, and you are not under any obligation to order premium services to get a full answer from me. If you do desire premium services, however, feel free to select that option. I will have an answer for you shortly, unless I require additional information. Please be patient while I may have to research some matters before providing a response. In the meantime you should save the url link or bookmark this webpage in case you become disconnected and need to return to this page at a later time.

The first thing you need to know about cobra is that it applies to only employers with 20 or more employees.The employer has 30 days from the qualifying event to notify the plan administration of the qualifying event. After receiving a notice of a qualifying event, the plan must provide the qualified beneficiaries with an election notice, which describes their rights to continuation coverage and how to make an election. The election notice must be provided to the qualified beneficiaries within 14 days after the plan administrator receives the notice of a qualifying event. So overall, it may be as long as 44 days from the qualifying event before notice is given.

Then, at a minimum, each qualified beneficiary must be given at least 60 days to choose whether or not to elect COBRA coverage, beginning from the later of the date the election notice is provided, or the date on which the qualified beneficiary would otherwise lose coverage under the group health plan due to the qualifying event. If COBRA coverage is elected, the coverage is retroactive to the date that coverage lost. So, as you can see, it can be as long 104 days from loss of coverage before coverage is elected, but when it is elected it is retroactive to date of loss of coverage.
You cannot contact Cobra, rather, cobra is a law. You can contact either the employer or the plan to get them to send you the notice of election. In other words the employer have to contact the plan, then the plan contacts you giving you the notice. If you've done this and you're getting no response your best bet is to contact the Department of Labor EBSA division here - https://www.dol.gov/agencies/ebsa/about-ebsa/ask-a-question/ask-ebsa - and file a complaint. The department would then resolve the matter for you at no cost to yourself and possibly sanction the employer or plan somehow.
I believe this answers your question. However, if you need clarification or have follow-up questions regarding this matter, I will be happy to continue our conversation - simply reply to this answer. If you are otherwise satisfied with my response, please leave a positive rating as it is the only way I am able to get credit for my answers (even though the website already charged you, it does not credit me with the answer unless and until you indicate you are satisfied with the answer). If you are on a mobile device, you may need to scroll to the right. Thank you, ***** ***** wish you all the best with this matter.