Employment Law

Employment law questions? Ask an employment lawyer.

I need help understanding the minimum wage law for

server/cashier at a restaurant who...
I need help understanding the minimum wage law for server/cashier at a restaurant who makes tip. Can you help me understand the section below?§ 146-1.3. Tip credits.
An employer may take a credit towards the basic minimum hourly rate if a service employee or food service
worker receives enough tips and if the employee has been notified of the tip credit as required in section 146-2.2
of this Part. Such employees shall be considered “tipped employees.”
(a) Tip credits for service employees. A service employee shall receive a wage of at least the hourly Cash
Wage rate listed below, and credit for tips shall not exceed the hourly Credit rate listed below, provided that the
weekly average of tips is at least the hourly Tip Threshold rate listed below and the total of tips received plus
wages equals or exceeds the basic minimum hourly rate pursuant to section 146-1.2 of this Subpart.
(1) General. For service employees (other than at resort hotels) employed in
(i) New York City by(a) Large Employers of eleven or more employees
$9.15 Cash Wage, $1.85 Credit, $2.40 Tip Threshold on and after December 31, 2016;
$10.85 Cash Wage, $2.15 Credit, $2.80 Tip Threshold on and after December 31, 2017;
$12.50 Cash Wage, $2.50 Credit, $3.25 Tip Threshold on and after December 31, 2018;
Answered in 1 hour by:
5/25/2017
John, Employment Lawyer

What this means is that there is a certai amount per hour employees must get to be considered "tipped" and eligible for a credit. First, to be a tipped employee the employee for example in 2017 would need to get at least $2.40 an hour on average in tips. Second, a tipped employee getting $2.40 per hour in tips could be paid $9.15 an hour; this represents a $1.85 credit against what would normally be a $11.00 an hour min wage.

I believe this answers your question. However, if you need clarification or have follow-up questions regarding this matter, I will be happy to continue our conversation - simply reply to this answer. If you are otherwise satisfied with my response, please leave a positive rating as it is the only way I am able to get credit for my answers (even though the website already charged you, it does not credit me with the answer unless and until you indicate you are satisfied with the answer). If you are on a mobile device, you may need to scroll to the right. Thank you, ***** ***** wish you all the best with this matter.

I am sending you this follow-up to determine if you require further assistance with your matter. I believe I have answered your question to the best of my abilities. I truly enjoy helping others with my knowledge and experience, and I believe I provide a valuable service. If you agree that my response was of value to you, please support my endeavor to share my knowledge by providing a positive rating. You have already been charged the full amount for your question. Providing a positive rating will not cost you any additional charge, but it will permit the website to credit me with answering your question. If you do not rate the answer positively, the website does not credit me with answering your question. Thanks.

John, Employment Lawyer
John, Employment Lawyer