Employment Law

Employment Law Questions? Ask an Employment Lawyer.

Employment Law

I am creating an Employee Handbook for a friend's start up

I am creating an Employee...
I am creating an Employee Handbook for a friend's start up company. I am in HR, but fairly new, and I want to verify the 90 probationary policy for California. Is this necessary? I have a 90 day waiting period for benefits and PTO, but is employment temporary until after 90 days? I'm trying to word it correctly in the handbook. Thanks! (below is an expert from that section)"Employment Evaluation
All employees will be under “evaluation” for the first three months of employment. Your immediate supervisor will be responsible for evaluating your performance, aptitude and compatibility with co-workers. At the end of the evaluation period, you may be invited to become a full time employee which may entitle you to additional benefits. In the event your evaluation information indicates you do not qualify, your employment may be terminated."
Answered in 1 hour by:
5/21/2017
Michael Gonzalez
Hello and welcome to JustAnswer. Please note: This is general information for educational purposes only and is not legal advice. No specific course of action is proposed herein, and no attorney-client relationship or privilege is formed by speaking to an expert on this site. By continuing, you confirm that you understand and agree to these terms.Probationary periods are optional and up to the employer to define. Just as an at-will employee (without a written contract specifying how long he/she will be employed), he/she can quit at any time for any reason. Similarly, the employer can fire the employee at any time for any lawful reason. Probationary periods/trial periods are optional at the discretion of the employer and usually are in place as a condition to receiving any benefits such as med. insurance, etc. Even with a probationary period, either the employee or employer may end the employment regardless of whether the probationary period was completed.

It was a pleasure assisting you today, and I would appreciate if you would rate my service, so I will receive credit and payment for my work. After you rate the question you can ask follow-up questions, and you will not be charged any additional money for the follow-up questions. Rating me costs you nothing.

Michael Gonzalez
Michael Gonzalez
Michael Gonzalez
Michael Gonzalez