John, Employment Lawyer
Experience:  Exclusively practice labor and employment law.
71296933

My wife was terminated from her nursing job this week, not

My wife was terminated from her nursing job this week, not sure the true reasons, but her fellow coworkers were told not to contact her. She has become friends with these people after working there for 7 years. Can they do that. She worked in an office with 8 doctors and the group is owned by a hospital. Thank you
JA: Because employment law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?
Customer: Illinois
JA: Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: Don't know she met with HR on Tuesday and they called yesterday and fired her.
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: it is a very busy office and they see 150 patients and more in 1 day. She was behind in her work but was never given a warring that she would be fired if she did not get current with her work.

Hi, thanks for submitting your question today. My name is John. I have over 13 years of legal and consulting experience in this area. I’m happy to assist you with your question today. Please note that the website may ask you if you desire premium services, such as a phone call. I do not control these prompts, and you are not under any obligation to order premium services to get a full answer from me. If you do desire premium services, however, feel free to select that option. I will have an answer for you shortly, unless I require additional information. Please be patient while I may have to research some matters before providing a response. In the meantime you should save the url link or bookmark this webpage in case you become disconnected and need to return to this page at a later time.

It is hard to believe but an employer may prohibit an employee from speaking to past employees as a condition of future employment. There simply is no law against this. The only exception would be if this applied to your wife for an illegal reason – such as her age race gender or any type of protective reason. The reason you gave for her termination was that she was behind on work, she wasn't given a warning, but was just terminated without notice. That is not illegal as well. This is because this is an employment at will scenario, and in the employment at will scenario the employer can terminate employment at any time for any reason as long as it's not in a legal reason. Likewise, the employee can quit at any time for any reason. Thus, unfortunately, I do not see any recourse in this matter for your wife.

I believe this answers your question. However, if you need clarification or have follow-up questions regarding this matter, I will be happy to continue our conversation - simply reply to this answer. If you are otherwise satisfied with my response, please leave a positive rating as it is the only way I am able to get credit for my answers (even though the website already charged you, it does not credit me with the answer unless and until you indicate you are satisfied with the answer). If you are on a mobile device, you may need to scroll to the right. Thank you, ***** ***** wish you all the best with this matter.