RobertJDFL, Lawyer
Experience:  Experienced in multiple areas of the law.
18284290

Do I have to tell my employer I got arrested that is why I

Customer Question

do I have to tell my employer I got arrested that is why I missed work and if so do I have to tell her my charges?
JA: Because employment law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?
Customer: massachusetts
JA: Is the employment agreement "at will," union, full time or part time?
Customer: no I work as a medical assistant for a non profit organization
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: i did tell her i went to court for hitting a sign but didn't say i was arrested
Category: Employment Law
Expert:  RobertJDFL replied 5 months ago.

Thank you for using Just Answer. I am a licensed attorney and look forward to helping you. I am reviewing your question and will reply back shortly.

Good morning,

There is no legal requirement in this situation that you disclose to your employer that you were arrested or the nature of the charge. While certain jobs may require that (e.g. law enforcement officers would generally have to disclose an arrest, persons in highly sensitive government jobs, etc), unless your employer has such a requirement in the workplace, such as in the employee handbook, it is not required.

Do keep in mind, however, that arrests and court proceedings are public record, so if the employer was to ever conduct a background search (which would be unusual once you have been hired) it very likely would show up.

Was there anything I could clarify for you or additional information you needed?

If you need clarification or additional information, please REPLY and I'll be happy to help further. Otherwise, please remember to leave a positive rating by clicking on the stars so I am credited for my time and assistance.