Employment Law

Employment Law Questions? Ask an Employment Lawyer.

Employment Law

I am employed as a clinical counselor at a university.I have

Customer Question
taught grad classes for an...
I am employed as a clinical counselor at a university.I have taught grad classes for an online u for 9 years.I acknowledged this in our annual conflict of interest form.Our new Dean feels this is a conflict of interest even though I do not do the teaching on my full-time university's clock and teach on my own time. I work for a public university full-time as counselor to students and I am employed in at at will hire/fire state.Can he tell me I can't teach on my own time?
JA: Because employment law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?
Customer: Ohio
JA: Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: The only thinh that was reportedwas the fact I work one class per quarter at the por profit school and I had to put my income from there and I was honest about it.The new Dean is an attorney and a real micro manager and I am worried he is going to say stop teaching or leave my current position.
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: Is this a free question or is ther a fee?
JA: The Lawyer's require payment for their services. It's way less expensive on JustAnswer than face-to-face would cost.
Customer: Can you tell me the approximate cost?
Submitted: 6 months ago.Category: Employment Law
5/15/2017
Employment Lawyer: Allen M., Esq., Employment Lawyer replied 6 months ago
Allen M., Esq.
Allen M., Esq., Employment Lawyer

Thank you for trusting your question to JA today. I am a licensed attorney with over a decade of law practice and over 20 years of experience in the legal field. I’m happy to be of assistance.

There is no law that protects your right to work at another location. By that, I simply mean that no statute has been passed that makes it so that an employer cannot require that we work with them exclusively (even taking into consideration or non-work hours).

So, what would matter then is how protected your present job is. If your employment is "at will" you can legally be terminated at any time, with or without cause. That would mean that the employer could terminate you for not complying with the exclusivity requirement. Now, if your job is more protected, for example through a union or contract with very specific terms on how you can be terminated, your rights here would be entirely dictated by that contract or collective agreement. That agreement would outline how you could be terminated, for what "offenses" and would explain your due process rights in relation to such a decision.

If you have any further questions or other facts that you would like me to consider, please let me know. I invite follow up questions, so use REPLY for those. If you have no further questions then good luck going forward and please do not forget to rate my service with a three, a four or preferably a five star rating so that I receive credit for working with you today. Please rate me based on my service and not on your satisfaction with the law, which I am not in control of and I am just reporting to you. Also, feel free to request me in the future, if you have questions concerning a different matter.

Allen M., Esq.
Allen M., Esq.
Allen M., Esq., Employment Lawyer