Employment Law

Employment Law Questions? Ask an Employment Lawyer.

Employment Law

Can an employer keep your earned PTO time upon resignation?

Customer Question
JA: Because employment law varies...
JA: Because employment law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?
Customer: Oklahoma
JA: Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: No
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: There handbook states they can do this depending on state law. States your forfeit it immediately.
Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Employment Law
5/12/2017
Employment Lawyer: Patrick, Esq., Lawyer replied 7 months ago
Patrick, Esq.

Hello and thank you for entrusting me to assist you. My name is ***** ***** I will do everything I can to answer your question.

Unfortunately, under Oklahoma law, an employer is only required to pay unused accrued PTO upon separation of employment if there is a contract or policy expressly so requiring. (See Okla. Admin. Rules 380:30-1-5.) Since it appears your employer does not have such a policy, they would not typically have any legal obligation to pay your accrued PTO under the circumstances.

I hope that you find this information helpful and am genuinely sorry if it is not what you were hoping to hear. Please do not hesitate to let me know if you have any questions or concerns regarding the above and I will be more than happy to assist you further.

If you do not require any further assistance, please be so kind as to provide a positive rating of my service so that I may receive credit for assisting you. Very best wishes moving forward.

Patrick, Esq.
Patrick, Esq.
Patrick, Esq., Lawyer