Employment Law

Employment Law Questions? Ask an Employment Lawyer.

Employment Law

I'm the Director of a church preschool. We are closing and

Customer Question
I'm the Director of a...
I'm the Director of a church preschool. We are closing and the Church Council told me that I could not give reference letters out as it violated labor laws. Which laws are these?
JA: Have you documented this or discussed it with HR?
Customer: We don't have a HR department. Only a School Board President and her superior the. Church President
JA: Is the employment agreement "at will," union, full time or part time?
Customer: At will, full time
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: Yes. There is a huff going on because last year myself and another employee stated that we wanted health insurance when asked by the bookkeeper. However this year in March I got sick and found out I didn't have it because the paperwork was never completed by the employer. Open season closed and I have 10s of thousands of dollars in medical bills because I was led to believe in good faith they had done so. When I asked none on the council would tell me why. Finally after a month and a half I was told that I said I didn't want it. I have 6 other employees that witnessed myself and another lady stating that we did in fact want it. Then they (council) said it was too expensive for me. Do you think they are just retaliating ?
Submitted: 6 months ago.Category: Employment Law
Answered in 1 minute by:
5/12/2017
Employment Lawyer: Ray, Employment lawyer replied 6 months ago
Ray, Employment lawyer

Hi and welcome to JA. Ray here to help you today.Please bear with me a few moments while I review your question, conduct and prepare your response.

Thats huey there is no prohibition in the United States against giving letters of recommendation.They are just being retaliatory, if you want to send them then do so on your own time,nothing they can do about it.This really is ridiculous and not in the labor laws.Somebody is just giving you the run around.You are free to do this on your own time if you want to do so.It violates no labor laws in the United States to do so.

I appreciate the chance to help you tonight.Thanks again.

If you can positive rate 5 stars it is much appreciated.

Ray, Employment lawyer