Employment Law

Employment law questions? Ask an employment lawyer.

I would like to know if it`s ok for my supervisor to ask for…

Customer Question
Hi i would like...

Hi i would like to know if it`s ok for my supervisor to ask for a sick note after calling out for 1 day also my medical assistant called out as well but was not ask to bring in a Dr`s note

Lawyer's Assistant: Because employment law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

Dc

Lawyer's Assistant: Is the employment agreement "at will," union, full time or part time?

Full time

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

Yes this supervisor has been talking down to me and making me use my pto when i cone to work for 6hrs when i`m a salaried employer

Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Employment Law
Answered in 1 minute by:
5/11/2017
Employment Lawyer: Patrick, Esq., Lawyer replied 1 year ago
Patrick, Esq.

Hello and thank you for entrusting me to assist you. My name is ***** ***** I will do everything I can to answer your question.

Yes, they may do this. The fact that it was not required of another employee would not change things as the law does not require employers to treat all employees exactly the same, or to be generally fair. You'd have to prove that you were targeted because of a legally protected trait such as race or religion, or that this was retaliation for having recently engaged in some sort of protected conduct, such as filing a wage claim or workers comp claim. Otherwise, while unfair, what you describe does not violate any laws.

I hope that you find this information helpful. Please do not hesitate to let me know if you have any questions or concerns regarding the above and I will be more than happy to assist you further.

If you do not require any further assistance, please be so kind as to provide a positive rating of my service so that I may receive credit for assisting you. Very best wishes moving forward.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
My medical assistance is spanish and I'm black also this supervisor has been asking me to use my pto when I'm a salaried employee

If you have reason to believe a different standard is being applied to you BECAUSE of your race or ethnicity, you can file a discrimination complaint with the EEOC. It's not illegal to deduct PTO for a salaried employee's partial day absences, so that is not a matter you could pursue.

Again if there is anything more I can do for you just let me know. It's my pleasure....

Was there anything further I can do to assist you?