Employment Law

Employment Law Questions? Ask an Employment Lawyer.

Employment Law

Workplace hostility and harassment--am a project manager but

Customer Question
boss does nothing when complaints...
Workplace hostility and harassment--am a project manager but boss does nothing when complaints are raised..because the accuser is his friend what to do
Submitted: 6 months ago.Category: Employment Law
5/11/2017
Employment Lawyer: Allen M., Esq., Employment Lawyer replied 6 months ago
Allen M., Esq.
Allen M., Esq., Employment Lawyer

Thank you for trusting your question to JA today. I am a licensed attorney with over a decade of law practice and over 20 years of experience in the legal field. I’m happy to be of assistance.

The term "hostile work environment" is, understandably, very misunderstood. It sounds like it applies to any situation where there is harassment and hostility. However, that is not true. The Supreme Court of the United States specifically defined the concept as only applying in circumstances where you have the additional ingredient of discrimination based on race, religion, gender, age, disability or FMLA use. Without one of those factors, the court refers to it as general hostility which is not illegal. The high court stated that our employment laws are not meant to be a civility code.

So, unfortunately, unless you can point to one of those factors as the underlying basis for your treatment, it is not illegal. If you can allege one of those factors, then you need to file a complaint with the EEOC in your state. That is a free and protected activity, meaning you can't be terminated for filing it.

If you have any further questions or other facts that you would like me to consider, please let me know. I invite follow up questions, so use REPLY for those. If you have no further questions then good luck going forward and please do not forget to rate my service with a three, a four or preferably a five star rating so that I receive credit for working with you today. Please rate me based on my service and not on your satisfaction with the law, which I am not in control of and I am just reporting to you. Also, feel free to request me in the future, if you have questions concerning a different matter.

Ok--Well I have the additional ingredient of race and gender --the other issue that happened to my employee--he was white... he is aggressive to anyone he chooses think he has something medical as he is in his early 70's -I'm scared after Tuesday to go to work...as he may do something else or hurt another employee...I guess I will have to just pray.thanks.
Stayed home today--
Well what about the added issue of expecting long work hours like 5 extra hours 3-4 times a week on average --sometimes after working 9-5 and commuting 4 hours every day--it is expected without written word that you work until 11 or more no matter what--I am a single mother with a child...
Employment Lawyer: Maverick, Lawyer replied 6 months ago
Maverick
Maverick, Lawyer

Welcome to Just Answer! My name is Maverick. Please give me a few minutes to review your inquiry. Thank you for your patience.

There are a couple of things you can try here. First, you can file a police report and you and the other employee here can both file a criminal complaint for assault. Under MD law, assault is the attempted touching of another person, without that person’s consent, and includes the act of placing someone in fear of an intentional touching.

You also may be able to sue or threaten to sue your employer for criminal acts of another employee under the legal doctrines of vicarious liability, negligent hiring, negligent retention, and/or negligent supervision. But, this may cost you your job.

Finally, you can threaten to file or file a civil suit for assault by getting a lawyer to send a cease and desist letter to this employee with a copy to the employer. A letter like this may cost about $250.00.

Note: Just Answer’s site disclaimer apply to all services including premium services. This information may not be correct, complete or reflect current legal developments for your specific jurisdiction. Please do not act or fail to act based on it alone. Most follow-up questions are answered within 24 hours. Please assign a feedback rating when we are done so JA will compensate me for this answer. Thank you.

P.S. Please remember to assign a positive feedback rating on this so that Just Answer will compensate me for this answer. Thank you.

Maverick
Maverick
Maverick, Lawyer