RobertJDFL, Lawyer
Experience:  Experienced in multiple areas of the law.
18284290

In Texas, If you earn PTO or paid time off, when fired does

Customer Question

In Texas, If you earn PTO or paid time off, when fired does the company get to keep the money instead of paying it to you?
JA: Because employment law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?
Customer: TEXAS
JA: Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: No
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: My way of thinking is because you earn it before you are eligible to use it the cash should be paid in the case of firinig. The company I work for regularly fires people without giving them compensation for PTO.
Category: Employment Law
Expert:  RobertJDFL replied 5 months ago.

Thank you for using Just Answer. I am a licensed attorney and look forward to helping you. I am reviewing your question and will reply back shortly.

Good evening,

Payouts of accrued leave are required under the Texas Payday Law only if such a payment is promised by the employer in a written policy or agreement. The payout would be controlled by the wording of the policy or agreement. If no such policy exists, the company would not owe such a payment, legally.

I'm sorry I cannot tell you otherwise.

Was there anything I could clarify for you or additional information you needed?

If you need clarification or additional information, please REPLY and I'll be happy to help further. Otherwise, please remember to leave a positive rating by clicking on the stars so I am credited for my time and assistance. This costs you nothing extra.​ Thank you!