John, Employment Lawyer
Experience:  Exclusively practice labor and employment law.
71296933

Can an employer insist that i either take the job reserved

Customer Question

can an employer insist that i either take the job reserved for or be put on a placement list waiting for a job
JA: Because employment law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?
Customer: I live in NY. I am a 1199 union worker who will displaced if I do not choose to opt for the set aside for me. It has been told if we go to be placed at a job fair. i will lose the opportunity that is offered by the hospital
JA: Is the employment agreement "at will," union, full time or part time?
Customer: It was told to us in a big meeting with other staff present. Nothing was ever written down on paper. Just word of mouth by management. It is implied I'm lucky to have a job offer. The dept is being dissolved to combine to similar dept into one.
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: I need to know if this legal?
Category: Employment Law
Expert:  John replied 4 months ago.

Hi, thanks for submitting your question today. My name is John. I have over 13 years of legal and consulting experience in this area. I’m happy to assist you with your question today. Please note that the website may ask you if you desire premium services, such as a phone call. I do not control these prompts, and you are not under any obligation to order premium services to get a full answer from me. If you do desire premium services, however, feel free to select that option. I will have an answer for you shortly, unless I require additional information. Please be patient while I may have to research some matters before providing a response. In the meantime you should save the url link or bookmark this webpage in case you become disconnected and need to return to this page at a later time.

Expert:  John replied 4 months ago.

In these scenarios of reduction in force where the workplace is being redesigned, generally the union employer will work out system by which employees placed. Generally that goes by seniority, job class and skills. These type of arrangements are commonly as legal. Thus, in your scenario I would have to be of the opinion that it is legal for the employer to place you on a placement last if you reject the job reserved for you.

I believe this answers your question. However, if you need clarification or have follow-up questions regarding this matter, I will be happy to continue our conversation - simply reply to this answer. If you are otherwise satisfied with my response, please leave a positive rating as it is the only way I am able to get credit for my answers (even though the website already charged you, it does not credit me with the answer unless and until you indicate you are satisfied with the answer). If you are on a mobile device, you may need to scroll to the right. Thank you, ***** ***** wish you all the best with this matter.

Expert:  John replied 4 months ago.

I am sending you this follow-up to determine if you require further assistance with your matter. I believe I have answered your question to the best of my abilities. I truly enjoy helping others with my knowledge and experience, and I believe I provide a valuable service. If you agree that my response was of value to you, please support my endeavor to share my knowledge by providing a positive rating. You have already been charged the full amount for your question. Providing a positive rating will not cost you any additional charge, but it will permit the website to credit me with answering your question. If you do not rate the answer positively, the website does not credit me with answering your question. Thanks.