LawTalk, Attorney
Experience:  30+ years legal experience and I keep current in Employment Law through regular continuing education.
15277592

I had to attend a mandatory meeting that was 1 hour away 1

Customer Question

I had to attend a mandatory meeting that was 1 hour away 1 hour back, employer will not pay for the extra time spent. I live 5 min from work. is this correct. ***** *****
JA: Because employment law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?
Customer: Kansas
JA: Is the employment agreement "at will," union, full time or part time?
Customer: I am part time, only paid 3 hrs per day even though work average of 4, not union and meeting was mandatory and I even had to find a replacement as I as the only employee at my satellite which is Meals on Wheels.
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: no
Category: Employment Law
Expert:  LawTalk replied 4 months ago.

Good afternoon,

I'm Doug, and I'm very sorry to hear of your situation. My goal is to provide you with excellent service today.

If you had to travel to a location different than your normal work location for a mandatory meeting, then your employer is obligated to pay you for your time in attending the meeting. And additionally it is illegal for the employer to pay you for only 3 hours if you work more than 3 hours in a day. You must be paid for all hours that you are working at the direction of your employer.

You will want to fill out a wage claim form for the state of Kansas and they will investigate all of the hours that you claim are owed to you and they can help get you paid the money you are owed. Here is a link to the wage claim form: https://www.dol.ks.gov/Files/PDF/keslr105.pdf

You may reply back to me again if you have additional questions, and I will continue to assist you.

I am not an employee of this site and I am only paid for helping you when you rate my service to you. Please remember to rate my service to you by clicking on the rating stars on your screen (preferably 5-Stars) so that I can be compensated for helping you. Thank you in advance.

I wish you and yours well in 2017,

Doug

Expert:  LawTalk replied 4 months ago.

Good afternoon,

Is there anything else I can assist you with today? It is possible that your questions and issues might be better served by an in-depth conversation with me. If you are interested, for a very nominal charge I can offer you a private phone conference.

Please know that I answered your question in good faith, providing you with the information that you asked for, and I did that with the expectation that you would act likewise and rate my service to you. If I have already provided you with the information you asked for and you have no additional questions, would you please now rate my service to you by clicking on the rating stars so that I can be compensated for assisting you? Rating me costs you nothing as you have already paid the deposit for my help. All rating does is ensure that I am paid for my time in working with you.

Thanks in advance for your rating of my service. It is greatly appreciated.

I wish you the best in 2017,

Doug