Legal Eagle, Lawyer
Experience:  Licensed to practice before state and federal court
97407003

Tina - I worked for a non-profit that cared for stray dogs

Customer Question

Hi Tina - I worked for a non-profit that cared for stray dogs as a cash employee. I was severely bitten by one and the NP owner agreed to pay any deductibles from my medical insurance costs. I just want to not have out of pocket costs because it was not my fault. But she now says she can't because its a misappropriation of non-profit finds? Is this true? Can I sue in small claims court? I only want my deductibles paid and it's not much <$600.
JA: Can you tell me where the nonprofit is registered?
Customer: I'm fairly sure in Pennsylvania. It's a small business.
JA: Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: The incident is on record at their office. I have a hospital invoice with the date and type of treatment with the deductible cost. there was no police report or Worker's Compensation. I was an cash-compensated part time employee
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: Specifically if a 501c3 can pay this sort of cost and what information would they require. I don't want to make a big issue of it, yet they agreed to cover the deductible costs
Category: Employment Law
Expert:  Legal Eagle replied 4 months ago.

Hello! My name is ***** ***** I am an attorney with Just Answer. I'll be here to help today! Do you mind if I take a moment to review your question? By the way, the system will automatically ask for a phone call. By no means are you required to accept it.

I'm so sorry to hear about your situation. The fact that they are a non-profit does not prohibit them from paying out claims such as these. I used to represent non-profit organizations and they are sued all of the time. The fact they are non-profit only is in relation to their tax status and how they are organized. It's not a misappropriate of funds.

You may want to consider just writing a demand letter to request compensation. There’s a site that I’ve used in the past where you can find a good template for a demand letter (click here).

Follow up questions are free so did you have any additional questions? If not, were you satisfied with my service today?