Employment Law

Employment Law Questions? Ask an Employment Lawyer.

Employment Law

Was terminated from work even though I followed their

Customer Question
protocals---happened next shift after JA: Because...
was terminated from work even though I followed their protocals---happened next shift after
JA: Because employment law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?
Customer: Illinois
JA: Is the employment agreement "at will," union, full time or part time?
Customer: part time I believe
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: they said it was for being late but was "threatened " on Friday released next time I worked----seems dubious
Submitted: 6 months ago.Category: Employment Law
5/10/2017
Employment Lawyer: Patrick, Esq., Lawyer replied 6 months ago
Patrick, Esq.

Hello and thank you for entrusting me to assist you. My name is ***** ***** I will do everything I can to answer your question.

I'm very sorry to hear that you were let go. Are you asking whether this was illegal? What specifically is your question? I very much look forward to helping you on this matter.

I do not know if illegal but I believe retalitory.I used their regional HR line which is publicly posted in employee lounge.Later,same day was asked about it,regional HR said he would contact local HR next weekday.I worked day after that and was fired---they said for being late which was not stated on Friday.I find such coincidence improbable.

Thank you. I am very sorry about this.

Unfortunately, retaliation is not illegal unless it is in response to an employee engaging in "legally protected activity." That is a term defined by statute and caselaw to include things like filing a workers compensation claim, taking FMLA leave, or complaining about sexual harassment. It doesn't sounds like you were retaliated against for engaging in protected activity, and since employment is otherwise "at will," your employer would have the right to let you go for just about any non-discriminatory reason, regardless of whether that reason was fair or even true.

I sincerely ***** ***** had better news for you. If I can clarify anything at all for you, please do not hesitate to ask. It is my pleasure to assist you further if necessary....

Patrick, Esq.
Patrick, Esq.
Patrick, Esq., Lawyer