John, Employment Lawyer
Experience:  Exclusively practice labor and employment law.
71296933

I work in an high school district where both high school

Customer Question

I work in an high school district where both high school teachers are in the same collective bargaining unit. We both have to perform Private Learning communities three days a week and one school receives compensation for this while the other does not. The administrators at our school never discuss this, is this unfair labor practices? The school district indicated this is mandatory to attend!
JA: Because employment law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?
Customer: Illinois
JA: Is the employment agreement "at will," union, full time or part time?
Customer: Union
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: no
Category: Employment Law
Expert:  John replied 4 months ago.

Hi, thanks for submitting your question today. My name is John. I have over 13 years of legal and consulting experience in this area. I’m happy to assist you with your question today. Please note that the website may ask you if you desire premium services, such as a phone call. I do not control these prompts, and you are not under any obligation to order premium services to get a full answer from me. If you do desire premium services, however, feel free to select that option. I will have an answer for you shortly, unless I require additional information. Please be patient while I may have to research some matters before providing a response. In the meantime you should save the url link or bookmark this webpage in case you become disconnected and need to return to this page at a later time.

Expert:  John replied 4 months ago.

The answer to your question really depends on whether "private learning communities" is covered in your collective bargaining agreement. Generally, if it's not in management retains its right to pay as it sees fit. Thus you would need to get a copy of your collective bargaining agreement and determine exactly what it says in regard to this matter. There also can be letters or memos of understanding which cover this in our part of an addendum to the agreement.

If "private learning communities" was a part of the agreement and management is intentionally disregarding this, then yes you do have a unfair labor practice charge and, also, a grievance under the contract's mandatory dispute resolution clause; generally a grievance and arbitration clause.

I believe this answers your question. However, if you need clarification or have follow-up questions regarding this matter, I will be happy to continue our conversation - simply reply to this answer. If you are otherwise satisfied with my response, please leave a positive rating as it is the only way I am able to get credit for my answers (even though the website already charged you, it does not credit me with the answer unless and until you indicate you are satisfied with the answer). If you are on a mobile device, you may need to scroll to the right. Thank you, ***** ***** wish you all the best with this matter.

Expert:  John replied 4 months ago.

I am sending you this follow-up to determine if you require further assistance with your matter. I believe I have answered your question to the best of my abilities. I truly enjoy helping others with my knowledge and experience, and I believe I provide a valuable service. If you agree that my response was of value to you, please support my endeavor to share my knowledge by providing a positive rating. You have already been charged the full amount for your question. Providing a positive rating will not cost you any additional charge, but it will permit the website to credit me with answering your question. If you do not rate the answer positively, the website does not credit me with answering your question. Thanks.

Expert:  John replied 3 months ago.

Kindly remember the ONLY WAY experts receive any credit at all for spending time with customers is if you click on OK, GOOD or EXCELLENT SERVICE even though you have made a deposit or are a subscription customer. YOU MUST COMPLETE THE RATING FOR THE EXPERT TO RECEIVE ANY CREDIT, if not the site keeps your money on deposit.