Employment Law

Employment Law Questions? Ask an Employment Lawyer.

Employment Law

I am a small business owner of a women's fitness studio in

Customer Question
I am a small business...
I am a small business owner of a women's fitness studio in New Jersey, and I had two employees quit. Upon reconciling their final payroll I discovered that they falsified payroll records and overstated hours worked. In addition, these two employees had a benefit of taking free classes on their free time. I also discovered that they took upwards of 120 classes each while working and did not clock out. (They were paid hourly). I want to be reimbursed for all hours not accounted for for lunch, as well as for the classes they took during their shifts as well as the taxes I contributed toward all of these hours.
JA: Because employment law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?
Customer: New Jersey
JA: Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: No not yet. Actually I had the department of labor come to my place of business yesterday requesting an audit. One of the two women threatened me with this. Not a problem for me. I run a 100% legit business.
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: NO
Submitted: 6 months ago.Category: Employment Law
5/9/2017
Employment Lawyer: Michael Gonzalez,
 replied 6 months ago
Michael Gonzalez
Hello and welcome to JustAnswer. Please note: This is general information for educational purposes only and is not legal advice. No specific course of action is proposed herein, and no attorney-client relationship or privilege is formed by speaking to an expert on this site. By continuing, you confirm that you understand and agree to these terms. An employer may initiate a lawsuit sounding in fraud against employees who have falsified their hours worked. In addition, a possible cause of action for civil theft may be applicable which would allow for the recovery of attorneys' fees as well. In regard to the audit, an employer should make sure that the enforcement of company policies is uniform. Consult a local attorney to protect your rights and interests.
Michael Gonzalez
Michael Gonzalez
Michael Gonzalez