Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  20+ Years of Employment Law Experience
10285032

My company's medical representative sent my FML request

Customer Question

My company's medical representative sent my FML request results to a co-worker. What actions can I take?
Category: Employment Law
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 5 months ago.
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.
If the employer divulged your personal health information without your consent for other than a lawful business purpose, you could sue them in court if you like to seek money damages for the emotional distress their negligent disclosure caused you to suffer. Putting a value on such a claim is fairly difficult and most of these claims end up in small claims court, but you can file such a suit.
An employer is not a protected entity under HIPAA, so that does not apply. You must pursue this under their duty to keep employee records and information confidential and not disclose it to other co workers without a reasonable business reason.
Please do not forget to leave positive feedback by clicking on the 5 stars at the top of your page , as the experts are not employees of the site and get no credit for spending time with customers unless they leave positive feedback. Thank you.