Employment Law

Employment law questions? Ask an employment lawyer.

I was offered COBRA benefits for 3 months at the same cost…

I was offered COBRA benefits...
I was offered COBRA benefits for 3 months at the same cost as I paid when employed. My wife and I had Medicare Part A. When I applied for COBRA I was never told that by COBRA office, CIGNA, or employers benefit office that because I was Medicare eligible that CIGNA would not pay any portion of my doctor bills. My wife had a spinal surgery and the doctor was given an authorization for the surgery. Not till after the surgery was I notified that CIGNA would not pay any portion of the surgery. Only when they received the claim were we told they would not pay. Now we have over $50,000 in medical bills. If we had been informed of this before the surgery we would have never gone ahead with it. CIGNA has been very uncooperative. Former employer has failed to advocate for us. Is there anything we can do? These physicians should be paid for a service the CIGNA authorized.
5/1/2017
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.
That is not true that if you have Medicare then CIGNA does not have to pay. If you have medicare and COBRA from CIGNA then your CIGNA plan would have to pay as secondary payee. I would suggest that once you get your plan description that you need a local attorney to file a suit for breach of contract against CIGNA in court for not paying their share of your bill.
Please do not forget to leave positive feedback by clicking on the 5 stars at the top of your page , as the experts are not employees of the site and get no credit for spending time with customers unless they leave positive feedback. Thank you.
Law Educator, Esq., Attorney