Employment Law

Employment Law Questions? Ask an Employment Lawyer.

Employment Law

What should be included in an employee handbook for state

Nevada? I heard we...
What should be included in an employee handbook for state Nevada? I heard we need to put in an arbitration clause? Any sample
4/23/2017
Ray, Employment lawyer

Hi and welcome to JA. Ray here to help you today.Please bear with me a few moments while I review your question, conduct and prepare your response.

Employee handbooks should be drafted according to the particular needs of each individual workplace and according to the requirements of state and federal law. Employers should try to develop policies and procedures that reflect the company's size, employee needs, and company philosophy. In addition, employers should always have an attorney familiar with state labor and employment laws review their handbooks for legal accuracy and timeliness.

To avoid implied contract claims, employers should issue only general statements of policy in employee handbooks and should always include an explicit statement reserving the right to alter, amend, or change any handbook policy at any time and for any reason.

There is additional information on employee handbooks.

Nevada is an “employment-at-will” state. Therefore, an employer may generally terminate an employment relationship at any time and for any reason unless a collective bargaining agreement, employment contract, existing law, or recognized public policy provides otherwise.

Nevertheless, the Nevada courts have held that statements contained in an employee handbook or policy manual may create an employment contract. For example, the courts have indicated that an implied contract of employment may be found based on an employer's failure to comply with termination provisions in the employee handbook (D'Angelo v. Garner, 819 P.2d 206 (Nev. 1991)).

EEOC for handbook

[Company Name] provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability or genetics. In addition to federal law requirements, [Company Name] complies with applicable state and local laws governing nondiscrimination in employment in every location in which the company has facilities. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation and training.

[Company Name] expressly prohibits any form of workplace harassment based on race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, age, genetic information, disability, or veteran status. Improper interference with the ability of [Company Name]’s employees to perform their job duties may result in discipline up to and including discharge.

Nevada Leave Laws

Topics Covered

Related Nevada Topics

It should address you leave policies.

It should also have information about hiring, promotion, and any specific policies to your company--does your company have 90 day probation for new hires.

I appreciate the chance to help you today.These are some of t he big areas here you may want to include.

If you can positive rate 5 stars it is much appreciated.

Ray, Employment lawyer
Ray, Employment lawyer