Allen M., Esq.
Allen M., Esq., Employment Lawyer
Experience:  Employment/Labor Law Litigation
20011183

Boss took ownership in January. Her brother is an employee

Boss took ownership in January. Her brother is an employee that I have worked with for the last three years. He got a friend hired and hangs out with him outside of work that we have started working with in our shop. Since he has been working with us I have been pushed aside by her brother and he even went to my boss, his sister and lied about my work saying that I take all the easy work, but I have done the same thing for the last 5 years. This has not been a problem until his friend started working with us. She has taken me off my job that I have been working on for the last 5 years even making me fill out paper work about what I do hr by hr and not having them do the same for the same project.

Thank you for trusting your question to JA today. I am a licensed attorney with over a decade of law practice and over 20 years of experience in the legal field. I’m happy to be of assistance.

Unfortunately, nepotism and even favoritism is not illegal in employment law. Some governments have recognized the damage it can do, and don't allow it for state jobs. Many employers recognize it and make it against their policy. But it is not illegal.

Unless you have a contract of employment that specifically guarantees you a certain job, certain tasks and a certain rate, your employment terms are "at will" and can be altered at any time, so the changes to your situation (though unfair) are also not illegal.

The one thing that you have mentioned with any sort of potential as a legal violation is the statement that this other employee lied about you. You could sue that employee for defamation of character, particularly if you lose the job based on her lies. However, from an employment law perspective, you have not raised any issues of illegality.

If you have any further questions or other facts that you would like me to consider, please let me know. I invite follow up questions, so use REPLY for those. If you have no further questions then good luck going forward and please do not forget to rate my service with a three, a four or preferably a five star rating so that I receive credit for working with you today. Please rate me based on my service and not on your satisfaction with the law, which I am not in control of and I am just reporting to you. Also, feel free to request me in the future, if you have questions concerning a different matter.