Employment Law

Employment law questions? Ask an employment lawyer.

My question is about Illinois Unemployment Insurance. In…

My question is about Illinois...
My question is about Illinois Unemployment Insurance.In late Feb 2017 I was let go from a position and was granted unemployment insurance. A old business acquaintance of mine offered some contract work but it was short term and much less than I was making. Upon certifying for unemployment benefits I answered honestly that I had refused work and Illinois has now terminated my unemployment. I am entitled to request reconsideration.Here are the details.
Previous Annual Pay
permanent position
158k annual + 25% cash bonus + 25% equity bonus + full benefits
expense accountOffer of employment
3 month contract for $30k as a contract employee
no benefits, no bonus, no expense reimbursement
required frequent travel to Wisconsin
heavy workloadI decided to turn down the 3 month contract to keep focused on finding long-term employment with compensation and demands similar to my previous position.My question: How does Illinois make a determination that I am no longer eligible for unemployment benefits? What should I include/exclude in my appeal?Thanks,
Brian
4/20/2017
Phillips Esq., Attorney-at-Law

Hello: This is Phillipsesq. Welcome to JustAnswer! I am reviewing your post, and I will post my response very shortly. Thank you for your patience.

My question: How does Illinois make a determination that I am no longer eligible for unemployment benefits?

Response 1: While I cannot specifically comment on your case because I am not privy to the information in the possession of Illinois unemployment, the decision to discontinue benefits is generally based on whether the worker has found suitable employment; whether the worker is available and willing to take a suitable job; whether the work is offered is suitable employment and the worker turned the job down.

What should I include/exclude in my appeal?

Response 2: Generally speaking since I cannot give you legal advice, if a worker is contesting the termination of his or her benefits due to turning down a job, the work must show that the work turned down is not suitable by showing the difference between the previous job and the job turned down.

Goodluck with your appeal.

Phillips Esq., Attorney-at-Law