Employment Law

Employment Law Questions? Ask an Employment Lawyer.

Employment Law

I have been working the same job for seven years. In the

I have been working the...
I have been working the same job for seven years . In the last year they have hired a few new people with authority over me. I guess I am feeling these people have done everything possible to diminish my worth as a person in terms of work. I have never asked for a raise or had any of my vacations. I have got periodic raises and the new people think I am unworthy of the cost of living raise I got four years before they arrived . I am unable to get anyone to work in my place if I wanted to take time off. only once in seven years have I got anyone to work in my place which is what you have to do to get time off. Maybe I got it wrong this has been my experience . I also feel something I am unaware of is being held over my head . I have never been late for work and I have never missed a day , and I have never asked for a raise .
JA: Because employment law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?
Customer: Oregon,portland
JA: Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: Have I done anythibn
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: did you get my earlier message?
4/19/2017
Allen M., Esq.
Allen M., Esq., Employment Lawyer

Thank you for trusting your question to JA today. I am a licensed attorney with over a decade of law practice and over 20 years of experience in the legal field. I’m happy to be of assistance.

I have read your statement and it is truly unfortunate to not be appreciated or treated well at work. The problem though is that you have not described any illegal act by the employer.

The Supreme Court stated that our employment laws are not meant to be a civility code. They are not intended to set out workplace conditions, beyond safety issues under OSHA. The workplace climate is left to the employer to handle as they wish. The employer simply has to avoid discrimination due to race, religion, gender, age, disability or recent FMLA medical leave use.

Regrettably, unless you can point to one of those as the basis for the treatment you are receiving, the treatment isn't illegal. If you can point to one of those as the causing factor, then you need to file an EEOC complaint (or DOL complaint for FMLA) in your state to have the matter investigated.

If you have any further questions or other facts that you would like me to consider, please let me know. I invite follow up questions, so use REPLY for those. If you have no further questions then good luck going forward and please do not forget to rate my service with a three, a four or preferably a five star rating so that I receive credit for working with you today. Please rate me based on my service and not on your satisfaction with the law, which I am not in control of and I am just reporting to you. Also, feel free to request me in the future, if you have questions concerning a different matter.

Allen M., Esq.
Allen M., Esq., Employment Lawyer
Allen M., Esq.
Allen M., Esq.
Allen M., Esq., Employment Lawyer