How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Law Educator, Esq. Your Own Question
Law Educator, Esq.
Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Category: Employment Law
Satisfied Customers: 118688
Experience:  20+ Years of Employment Law Experience
Type Your Employment Law Question Here...
Law Educator, Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I live in the state of Maryland and was denied unemployment

Customer Question

JA: Hello. How can we be of help?
Customer: I live in the state of Maryland and was denied unemployment for Gross Misconduct and this has never being my character. I have some character references I requested form people who work with me to submit with my appeal. This is not my character at al. My boss came in my office and called me a bitch and I called for help because I was inshock.
JA: Was this retaliation? Or based on race, religion, age, gender, disability, or national origin?
Customer: It was all retaliation.
JA: Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: by whom?
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: There is just so much.
Submitted: 6 months ago.
Category: Employment Law
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 6 months ago.
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.
If your boss called you a "bitch," which is generally considered discrimination/harassment based on gender and grounds to institute a complaint with the EEOC, which should be your next step, since you have only 180 days if there was only one instance of harassment/discrimination or 300 days if it was ongoing to file a complaint.
Next you need to file an unemployment appeal and you need to present your evidence and you can subpoena your witnesses to testify in the unemployment appeal as well. It is in your best interest to use a local unemployment attorney, they do not charge up front and typically only charge you 20% of what they are able to win for you in benefits.
Please do not forget to leave positive feedback by clicking on the 5 stars at the top of your page , as the experts are not employees of the site and get no credit for spending time with customers unless they leave positive feedback. Thank you.