How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Legal Eagle Your Own Question
Legal Eagle
Legal Eagle, Lawyer
Category: Employment Law
Satisfied Customers: 2936
Experience:  Licensed to practice before state and federal court
Type Your Employment Law Question Here...
Legal Eagle is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My daughter passed, leaving life ins. & pension benefits to

Customer Question

My daughter passed, leaving life ins. & pension benefits to me. She left no will, as she never married, never had children, owns no property. The state tells me I need the present "1 oif 4 legal documents as they do not have any beneficiary in their system. I have a 2015 document showing me as benficiary of both. Advice please.
JA: Have you documented this or discussed it with HR?
Customer: Yes. They have no knowledge of what I need to do, except as the state request. My daughter worked for the state of TX.
JA: Is the employment agreement "at will," union, full time or part time?
Customer: Full time employed for many years.
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: Don't know.
Submitted: 3 months ago.
Category: Employment Law
Expert:  Legal Eagle replied 3 months ago.

Hello! My name is ***** ***** I am an attorney with Just Answer. I'll be here to help today! Do you mind if I take a moment to review your question?

By the way, the system will automatically ask for a phone call. By no means are you required to accept it.

Expert:  Legal Eagle replied 3 months ago.

I'm sorry to hear about the death of your daughter. That has to be painful.

However, in your case you may be in luck when it comes to her life insurance. The reason is two-fold: 1) you have a document showing you as the beneficiary for her pension and life insurance benefits. If the document that you have is authentic (meaning that it is not a forgery) then you should be able to get those under her policies. 2) Even if you can't prove it, because your daughter died without a will, her estate (including her benefits) will go through what's called intestacy. All this means is that the state is going to look to the next of kin to figure out how to distribute the property. Because she had no kids and was not married, the next of kin is almost always the parents. Accordingly, you should receive the property.

Expert:  Legal Eagle replied 3 months ago.

You can click here for a book on how to handle life insurance proceeds since it's often a very high amount.

Follow up questions are free so did you have any additional questions? If not, were you satisfied with my service today?

Expert:  Legal Eagle replied 3 months ago.

Hi, I just wanted to double check to make sure you were still with me. I am very interested in helping you answer your question so please let me know if we’re still connected

Expert:  Legal Eagle replied 3 months ago.

Hi, I noticed that we never had a chance to reconnect on this. I’m totally ready to help. Did you have any follow up questions for me or any other facts to add? If not, would you be so kind as to rate your opinion of my service?

Related Employment Law Questions