Employment Law

Employment Law Questions? Ask an Employment Lawyer.

Employment Law

I want to understand my health insurance rights under COBRA.

Customer Question
I have been covered as...
I want to understand my health insurance rights under COBRA. I have been covered as part of a large group Insurance plan by virtue of my business participating in an employee leasing arrangement with a PEO. The PEO canceled my businesses contract effective May 1, 2017 because I didn't have enough employees. Employee insurance coverage ends April 30, 2017. The PEO's contract with my business specifies that my business will pay $500 per month per employee to the PEO to cover their cost of extending benefits, in addition to the COBRA premiums. The $500 per month and expenses exceeds the cost of the COBRA premiums. My questions are: 1. Does the PEO canceling my contract constitute a qualifying event for COBRA? 2. is $500 per month in expenses for a $480 per month COBRA premium permitted under current law? (Yes, I did sign a contract with that wording).
JA: Because laws vary from place to place, can you tell me what state the property is in?
Customer: Colorado
JA: Is the employment agreement "at will," union, full time or part time?
Customer: I'm not a lawyer I'm afraid I'm gonna give you a wrong answer to this
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: I listed everything in my initial statement
Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Employment Law
Answered in 1 hour by:
4/9/2017
Employment Lawyer: Ray, Employment lawyer replied 8 months ago
Ray, Employment lawyer

Hi and welcome to JA. Ray here to help you today.Please bear with me a few moments while I review your question, conduct and prepare your response.

Does the PEO canceling my contract constitute a qualifying event for COBRA? 2. is $500 per month in expenses for a $480 per month COBRA premium permitted under current law? (Yes, I did sign a contract with that wording).

The PEO would likely deny you Cobra benefits.ou may need a lawyer if you want to enforce those.

Reference..

http://benefitblog.com/2008/employee-leasing-peo-and-cobra-issues/

You may want to look into ObamaCare this is considered a change of life event and you can open enroll.You get subsidies and the premiums are cheaper that way.

Colorado market place health care

http://connectforhealthco.com/

If your contract was cancelled likely they deny everyone the COBRA benefits and you should not be charged for them.You can enroll in ObamaCare site I gave you above and your employees can too, you may want to refer them to this site.

I appreciate the chance to help you tonight.Thanks again.

If you can positive rate 5 stars it is much appreciated.

Ray, Employment lawyer