Employment Law

Employment law questions? Ask an employment lawyer.

Is there a template or standard set of questions to ask a…

Customer Question
Is there a template...

Is there a template or standard set of questions to ask a professional who has violated HIPAA?

Lawyer's Assistant: What state are you in? It matters because laws vary by location.

Florida.

Lawyer's Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?

I just filed

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

The professional who violated HIPAA turned around on me the patient and defamed my character

Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Employment Law
Answered in 1 day by:
4/3/2017
Employment Lawyer: Marsha411JD, Lawyer replied 1 year ago
Marsha411JD, Lawyer

Thank you for your question, however, I am unclear why you, as the patient, would be questioning this employee. Can you clarify under what circumstance you will be questioning them and what it is that you have "filed" and with whom.?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I am asking a question to a mental health professional whose office I came to and could clearly hear from the waiting room her bad mouthing me and my case to her secretary and another professional not in her practice or on the case. She said I broke confidentiality. My experience:
On 21MAR17 at approximately 1245 PM, I stopped by Dr. Hanson’s office to pay for fees she reported I owed for services never received, as well as a statement I never received. Dr. Hansen Cohen said in court she had policy and procedures or standard operating procedures which she had never told or provided to me or the Court. Wanting to limit any delays, every office I have been to has signatures for consents or consent for releases, etc. I wanted to get all the preliminary paper work to be prepared for my intake appointment with her scheduled for April 4th, 2017.
When I arrived the office was wide open. When I stepped forward to the secretary’s office window, I noticed it was wide open and her office was vacant and the door to the large receiving area which has the private offices on the very end was wide open too. There was no bell to call for assistance or sign at the window to indicate when someone would return. I tapped a few times (with my ring) and no one appeared. I waited. I heard voices beyond the secretary’s office. Believing the secretary had probably stepped away momentarily to bathroom, since there was activity in the office, I waited a bit longer. I cleared my throat a few times trying again to bring attention to my presence in the small waiting area. I could clearly hear Dr. Christia Hansen Cohen and Crystal her secretary and realized they were openly talking about my case.
I heard negative comments about me. I heard them say other professionals who had been on the case had issues with me. I heard them talk about a potential lawyer I was considering to represent me if I could afford it (Rodgers). I heard them belittle me and my efforts to represent myself in the court proceedings. They discussed that I would be paying for an alleged late appointment and all the court appearances and appointments and giggled. I heard them say I blamed things on the judge and then try to claim delays were due to Dr. Hanson’s limited availability. A gentleman's voice (who I later saw was Dr. Capazoli) asked something to the effect of how long the case would continue. Dr. Hanson Cohen sighed then answered something to the effect of…as hard as she is (referring to me), who knows if there will ever be compliance.
As I listened to their disparaging comments about me and my case, their disdain for me was obvious; there was no concern for my children who continue to be unnecessarily separated from their mother for years without cause. I made repeated attempts, at least 3, to get the attention of Dr. Hanson, her secretary Crystal and Dr. Capazoli by knocking on the door to get their attention. It appeared they were to engage in their negative discussion and representation or gossip about me. I became more concerned that the next person coming in would also hear their discussion. Although they sounded as if they were close (outside the secretary’s office in the open receiving area beyond the waiting room) they did not respond to my knocking on the door, taps, clearing my throat and repeated efforts to get them to stop.
Finally, Crystal the secretary came back to her open office behind the open window. She appeared shocked and surprised to see me. I mirrored her facial expression and nodded my head. I told her the reason I had original come for what I previously stated above, however given what had transpired; I thought I should talk to Dr. Hansen. The secretary said ok and went to talk to Dr. Hansen. This time I heard whispering. I opened the door to the receiving area and told them that I had heard everything they had been saying, prior to the whispering, and that I would be filing a complaint. As I closed the door, the secretary pushed it against me and said to wait in the waiting area. I said ok and closed the door. I waited momentarily, and then left to pursue the board complaint.
I called two professionals before arriving home who agreed to the unethical conduct and HIPPA violation and to proceed with a complaint. I arrived at 1:23 pm. I called the Florida Licensing Board at 1:25 pm and spoke with Marsha. I reported my TBI diagnosis and challenges and I said it would take time for me to formulate a written complaint. She understood.
Later that day around 4:00 pm I received emails from Ms. Denise Miller, Dr. Hansen Cohen and again from Dr. Hansen Cohen. I was taken back to review the record to find around 1:15 pm, less than the time it took me to drive straight home from their office, Dr. Hansen Cohen sent email to the Judge, my ex-husband and his counsel recusing herself from the case. Dr. Hansen Cohen found time, in less than 30 minutes review what she reports is 10 minute tapes, write a letter to the Court slandering me

I apologize but I will have to opt out of your question and allow another Expert to see if they can assist you. No need to respond to my post as another professional will let you know when they are ready to assist you. Thank you for your patience.