Employment Law

Employment law questions? Ask an employment lawyer.

I was recently fired from a job. They are saying COBRA has…

Hello. I was recently fired from...
Hello.
I was recently fired from a job. They are saying COBRA has determined I am not eligible to apply for benefits.
3/30/2017
John, Employment Lawyer

Hi, thanks for submitting your question today. My name is John. I have over 13 years of legal and consulting experience in this area. I’m happy to assist you with your question today. Please note that the website may ask you if you desire premium services, such as a phone call. I do not control these prompts, and you are not under any obligation to order premium services to get a full answer from me. If you do desire premium services, however, feel free to select that option. I will have an answer for you shortly, unless I require additional information. Please be patient while I may have to research some matters before providing a response. In the meantime you should save the url link or bookmark this webpage in case you become disconnected and need to return to this page at a later time.

According to COBRA coverage rules, if an employee is terminated from employment due to “gross misconduct” then the employer has the right to deny COBRA coverage for the employee and his or her family. The definition of “gross misconduct” in the COBRA context, however, must be carefully considered – it must be sufficiently intentional deliberate and extreme to warrant denying COBRA. Not following classroom protocol generally would not be sufficient. If they continue to deny you COBRA, consider filing a complaint with the Department of Labor, by calling(###) ###-####

I believe this answers your question. However, if you need clarification or have follow-up questions regarding this matter, I will be happy to continue our conversation – simply reply to this answer. If you are otherwise satisfied with my response, please leave a positive rating as it is the only way I am able to get credit for my answers (even though the website already charged you, it does not credit me with the answer unless and until you indicate you are satisfied with the answer). Thank you, ***** ***** wish you all the best with this matter.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
That clarifies some of my question.
Who determines whether I am eligible or not? My employer says COBRA determines this

Your employer is not being completely honest with you. The health insurance company (i.e., the "plan") would be the one administering your COBRA coverage. COBRA is a law - its not a person or company - which allows for you to maintain employer coverage after termination, assuming you weren't terminated for gross misconduct. The health insurance company would have no reason to know or even care why you were terminated. Your employer submitted to them that you committed gross misconduct. This is why the health insurance company ('the plan") is now rejecting your COBRA coverage. You probably also have an appeal process you must follow with the plan. Be sure to closely read the documents they sent you with appeal rights.

I am sending you this follow-up to determine if you require further assistance with your matter. I believe I have answered your question to the best of my abilities. I truly enjoy helping others with my knowledge and experience, and I believe I provide a valuable service. If you agree that my response was of value to you, please support my endeavor to share my knowledge by providing a positive rating. You have already been charged the full amount for your question. Providing a positive rating will not cost you any additional charge, but it will permit the website to credit me with answering your question. If you do not rate the answer positively, the website does not credit me with answering your question. Thanks.

John, Employment Lawyer