Employment Law

Employment Law Questions? Ask an Employment Lawyer.

Employment Law

I have a State wage and hour or labor law question relating

I have a Washington State...
I have a Washington State wage and hour or labor law question relating to notifying employees about tip pooling/tip sharing? The question is do we need to provide our tip pooling/tip sharing policy in writing and we will be doing that, but do the employees in the state of WA have to sign an acknowledgement as to how we administer this program and have this acknowledgement in their personnel file?
3/22/2017
RobertJDFL, Lawyer

Thank you for using Just Answer. I am a licensed attorney and look forward to helping you. I am reviewing your question and will reply back shortly.

Good afternoon,

There is no requirement in Washington State that employees be asked to sign something making them aware of the policy (although it never hurts to put anything in writing -no lawyer would ever frown on that!). However, the Fair Labor Standards Act (FLSA) provides that:

"Tip Pooling: As noted above, the requirement that an employee must retain all tips does not preclude a valid tip pooling or sharing arrangement among employees who customarily and regularly receive tips. The FLSA does not impose a maximum contribution amount or percentage on valid mandatory tip pools. The employer, however, must notify tipped employees of any required tip pool contribution amount, may only take a tip credit for the amount of tips each tipped employee ultimately receives, and may not retain any of the employees' tips for any other purpose."

RobertJDFL, Lawyer
Thanks that is what I needed. Much appreciated

My pleasure! Thank you for the accept and the bonus!

RobertJDFL, Lawyer