Employment Law

Employment law questions? Ask an employment lawyer.

Want to take intermittent FMLA to cover tardiness related to…

Customer Question
Want to take intermittent FMLA...
Want to take intermittent FMLA to cover tardiness related to me caring for my dad who has Parkinson. Is this possible, and whats the process
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Employment Law
3/21/2017
Employment Lawyer: Marsha411JD, Lawyer replied 1 year ago
Marsha411JD, Lawyer

Thank you for the information and your question. As long as you otherwise qualify for FMLA by having worked for an employer who employs at least 50 employees for at least 12 months and 1250 hours in those months and your father's doctor would certify the need for your assistance with your father and his serious health condition, you would qualify for FMLA. You will need to go to HR and let them know you need to apply for FMLA. You can find all of the information about your rights, your duties, the employer's duties and the process by going to the following link: https://www.dol.gov/whd/fmla/fmla-faqs.htm

FMLA doesn't really cover tardiness though. What it can do is to allow you to call in ahead of time because of your father's needs or schedule time off for his doctor's appointments etc. You can take intermittent leave of up to a cumulative of 12 weeks leave in a 12 month period. But, again, you can find all of the information at the link above and this link: https://www.dol.gov/whd/fmla/

Please feel free to ask for clarification after you have read all of the information at those links. If none is needed, then if you could take a moment to leave a positive rating on this page of my efforts to provide you the relevant information, then the Site will give me credit for assisting you today. Thank you

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
basically I was trying to get my FMLA back dated to cover 2 tardies were I was providing care for my Father. Is that not possible?

No, not unless it was after you had applied for FMLA and before you had been approved. You can certainly do it going forward, but not retroactively except for in the situation I mentioned.

Hello again,

I wanted to touch base with you and make sure that you did not have any further follow up questions for me from the answer I provided to you on the 21st. For some reason, the Experts are not always getting replies, or ratings (at the top of the question/answer page you are viewing or in the pop up box for this question), which is how we get credit (paid by the Site) for our work, that the customer thinks have gone through. In your case I not received your rating and, after reviewing your question history, it appears that you may not understand how the Experts on this Site are compensated, since your rating percentage compared to the questions you have asked is very low. No rating left, means no compensation for the person who provided you with the Service you asked for.

Please keep in mind that I cannot control the law or your circumstances, and am ethically bound to provide you with accurate information based on the facts you give me even if the news is not good. If you are having technical difficulties with reading, replying or rating, please let me know so that I can inform the Site administrator.Please note that Site use works best while using a computer and using either Google Chrome or Firefox.

In any event, it was a pleasure assisting you and I would be glad to attempt to assist you further on this issue, or a new legal issue,if needed. You can bookmark my page at: http://www.justanswer.com/law/expert-marsha411jd/

Thank you.

Marsha411JD, Lawyer