Employment Law

Employment law questions? Ask an employment lawyer.

I was diagnose last year with advance stage lung cancer. I…

Customer Question
I was diagnose last...

I was diagnose last year with advance stage lung cancer. I was also on probation at the time. ever since I found out about my cancer I was not required to come in to check in or to drug test. last week my newly appointed probation officer asked me for an updated letter from my oncologist explain exactly what I am capable of doing to see if I can preform community service and also an updated letter of my health. I provided my probation officer the letter she requested which stated that I am not able to do any type of physical work, nor am I able to preform any type of work that includes periods of standing, walking, lifting or extended sitting. My doctor who is my Oncologist also indicated that I have been under his care and his treatment due to my medical condition of advance stage lung cancer. The next day my probation officer called me telling me that she had spoken to my doctor asking him if I can work 2 hours out of the day, if I am able to attend treatment at new beginnings which is a drug rehabilitation center, she asked him if I was receiving chemo or radiation and if I could attendant NA meetings 2 nights out of the week. I was confused because the letter I provided her explain to her that it is not in my best interest to work and that I am still under the care and treatment of my Oncologist. Why did I need to provide this letter if she was going to contact him via telephone, and why wasn't I contacted by my oncologist's office and asked for my permission to release this kind of information to my probation officer. I have not had to come in for drug testing or to physically come in to check in for over a year. So based off of what my Oncologist trold my probation office they have decided that I can work now, I can come in to check-in and I can drug test once a week. I was never asked if by anyone if this information could be released to my probation officer.

Lawyer's Assistant: Because employment law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

Well its not a state its a us territory Guam

Lawyer's Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?

Im not sure what you mean nby that question

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

I want to know if I am to find out that my doctor released this information about me with out my authorization what do I do at this point. or if probation is really lying to me about talking to my Oncologist and telling me that just to get me to come in and check-in, drug test and work, what should I do at that point.

Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Employment Law
3/22/2017
Employment Lawyer: Asad Rahman, Lawyer replied 1 year ago
Asad Rahman
Asad Rahman, Lawyer

So this may be a hipaa privacy violation by the oncologist.

Asad Rahman
Asad Rahman
Asad Rahman, Lawyer